Security News Google, Cloudflare & Cisco will poison DNS to stop piracy block circumvention

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A French court has ordered Google, Cloudflare, and Cisco to poison their DNS resolvers to prevent circumvention of blocking measures, targeting around 117 pirate sports streaming domains. The move is another anti-piracy escalation for broadcaster Canal+, which also has permission to completely deindex the sites from search engine results.
In France, where laws were introduced with site-blocking and similar anti-piracy measures already baked in, entertainment giant Canal+ seems intent on taking full advantage.

Like similar broadcasters with lucrative sports rights to exploit, Canal+ has a subset of viewers who prefer to consume from pirate sources which charge much less, or even nothing at all. To maximize its existing site-blocking efforts through local ISPs, the French broadcaster has now taken the logical, albeit controversial, next step on the site-blocking ladder.

In 2023, Canal+ went to court in France to tackle pirate sports streaming sites including Footybite.co, Streamcheck.link, SportBay.sx, TVFutbol.info, and Catchystream.com. The broadcaster said that since subscribers of local ISPs were accessing the pirate sites using their services, the ISPs should prevent them from doing so.

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
This news made me look for alternative DNS servers in case this becomes reality globally. I'm testing ControlD and God... their ad blocking DNS is so strict! I didn't even surf for 10 minutes and I already found two websites I visit broken. I gave up on it and I'm trying their unfiltered DNS now.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I'm testing ControlD and God... their ad blocking DNS is so strict! I didn't even surf for 10 minutes and I already found two websites I visit broken.
Yes, but it is worth it, you can create a whitelist, though it takes a little time to figure out, which webpage is responsible, like I had to allow NRD blocked by AI to get rid of this message.

capture_06152024_170533.jpg

Allego

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
This news made me look for alternative DNS servers in case this becomes reality globally. I'm testing ControlD and God... their ad blocking DNS is so strict! I didn't even surf for 10 minutes and I already found two websites I visit broken. I gave up on it and I'm trying their unfiltered DNS now.
Don't use their own blocklist. Instead use 3rd party blocklist like Hagezi

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Yes, but it is worth it, you can create a whitelist, though it takes a little time to figure out, which webpage is responsible, like I had to allow NRD blocked by AI to get rid of this message.

View attachment 283804
I only use free DNS services so I don't have an option to whitelist anything. And my problem wasn't website detecting ad blocker type (these are easily fixed with uBlock Origin and cosmetic filtering). It was with embedded video player not appearing because domain which was used for delivering player .js files, was completely unreachable. Probably because some other website had ads coming from the same domain so DNS now blocks same domain for all other websites. This is also why I'm not a fan of these ad blocking DNS services. It might be a simple setup, but with way less options for controlling filtering, unless you pay.

AdGuard DNS has somewhat less aggressive ad blocking filters so it only affects smaller number of websites; and in a way that website detects ad blocker, not in terms of certain parts of page not loading.

zord

Level 1
Jul 5, 2014
As far as I'm concerned, these DNS have become completely unreliable. If they block "pirate" sites, who knows what else they might block or even redirect people to different sites than they intended. They should immediately stop this and apologize to their users.

SpiderWeb

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Woooow. I was wondering why I can't open that Formula 1 stream anymore lol. In the end it's a whack a mole game because people will just find the next domain that works, but this runs counter everything they are advertising to be.

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Woooow. I was wondering why I can't open that Formula 1 stream anymore lol. In the end it's a whack a mole game because people will just find the next domain that works, but this runs counter everything they are advertising to be.
Use this tool to find out if the website is unavailable only on DNS you're using or on all DNS servers. I don't think this was implemented yet.

Reactions: SpiderWeb

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Personally pihole with unbound in recursive and that pi can only communicate over protonvpn via a VPN client rule on udm pro... Be your own DNS server.. Used this for years and is great... And now with this kind of news makes it even more important, gives you the control.
(Also my mobile uses an always on VPN via wireguard for always on adblocking and my own DNS)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.