Google+ drops real name policy. What do you think? (POLL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Following years of criticism, Google announced on Tuesday that it is waving goodbye to the real names policy it employed to block the use of pseudonyms on its Google+ social network.

When the service began in June 2011 the policy effectively gave users the choice of either using their real names or bogging off to Facebook or Twitter.

We noted at the time how we felt the company was missing the opportunity to bridge the gap between privacy and openness, and hoped that it would re-evaluate its policy in time.

Then Google, in a bid to combat YouTube spam and other nastiness, asked for people to sync their YouTube account to their Google+ account meaning that every time they commented on a YouTube video, their real name would appear.

Now, however, all the previous rules and restrictions have been tossed aside in favour of an anything-goes approach to identity.

In a Google+ posting yesterday the company announced that it was completely abandoning the naming restrictions and even went as far as to admit that the old policy may have actually been a bit rubbish after all:

When we launched Google+ over three years ago, we had a lot of restrictions on what name you could use on your profile. This helped create a community made up of real people, but it also excluded a number of people who wanted to be part of it without using their real names.

Over the years, as Google+ grew and its community became established, we steadily opened up this policy, from allowing +Page owners to use any name of their choosing to letting YouTube users bring their usernames into Google+. Today, we are taking the last step: there are no more restrictions on what name you can use.

We know you've been calling for this change for a while. We know that our names policy has been unclear, and this has led to some unnecessarily difficult experiences for some of our users. For this we apologize, and we hope that today's change is a step toward making Google+ the welcoming and inclusive place that we want it to be. Thank you for expressing your opinions so passionately, and thanks for continuing to make Google+ the thoughtful community that it is.

Good news for anyone wanting to use Google+ without divulging their real names, but what about the problems the initial policy was designed to address?

When commenter Chris Chase asked whether the change will see YouTube comments revert to their previous state, which he colourfully described as "being a steaming pile of monkey sh*t," he received a reply from Google+ chief architect Yonatan Zunger. He said Google had benefitted from two years of research that had given it a "much better understanding of what turned [YouTube comments] into the wretched hive of scum and villainy we all know."

Read more: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/07/16/google-drops-real-name-policy-what-do-you-think-poll/

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I don't use G+ (privacy issues), I will drop my GMail also.

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
My new name is going to be "Bill Gates the 3rd".
Talk about Anonymity :rolleyes:
Google really makes some backwards decisions.
Trolls and fake accounts will be happy to hear this info. :eek:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's awesome news, finally Google realises following Facebook was a bad idea. Still wish G+ was OPTIONAL though.

Byte

Level 1
Verified
Jul 13, 2014
Google in every terms is unreliable. They sell personal information and fool its users. :mad:

Everything's written in their privacy policy. It isn't their problem when most people cluelessly agree, am I right?
Besides most major companies sell their users "personal" information, it really isn't something unusual. I'm personally okay with it, provided that Google services remain free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koroke San and Ink

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
This is just a little part of all the changes Google is providing and will provide to G+ service, and that's because it can't even compare to alternatives, now or in the future. :rolleyes:
And this move is going to stabilize its role of 'always at second place' social network. ;)

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
lol, now i can use my legendary old name which i used in YT for past 3 yrs, MUAHHAHAHA :)

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
G+ has become G- lol.
Google has many brilliant projects, but at the same time they have some epic fails.
And Google+ has always been a fail, almost a epic fail.
And since Google+ has become the blogger graveyard of the world it was only bound to happen.
Google back then was 100% sure that their policy would not affect G+ while the whole world told them.

Well ill guess its never to late to learn.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
G+ has become G- lol.
Google has many brilliant projects, but at the same time they have some epic fails.
And Google+ has always been a fail, almost a epic fail.
And since Google+ has become the blogger graveyard of the world it was only bound to happen.
Google back then was 100% sure that their policy would not affect G+ while the whole world told them.

Well ill guess its never to late to learn.
I will have to agree it will never receive the popularity of Facebook or Twitter.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: WinXPert
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.