McLovin

Level 78
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
ZDNet said:
Google has detailed the amount of malware its Safe Browsing keeps away from users, and hints at scanning Chrome extensions.

The search engine prides itself on being proactive in protecting its users from malware and attacks (even government-sponsored ones) on the web via its Safe Browsing API and other technologies, over the past five years.

Read more.

McLovin

Level 78
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Google provides malware warnings for about 300,000 downloads, per day, through its download protection service for Chrome.

That has to a lot of downloads that are dangerous.

About 12 million to 14 million Google search queries, per day, display a warning that sites are compromised.

That's a great deal. That is why it's essential to have an up to date antivirus and operating system.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
This is why I use Chrome, with Google's Safe Browsing. :D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
According to this Google's Safe Browsing is also part of Mozilla Firefox.
Edit. The article in the first post also states that:
About 600 million users of Chrome, Firefox and Safari see several million warnings, per day, about malware and phishing on sites the users are about to visit
So it's not a Chrome-only feature.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
This why I use Bing. /sarc :rolleyes:

I have yet to encounter a dangerous download or malicious website for a long time now.

Using a web guard or filter such as Panda Web Filtering, BitDefender Traffic Light can help protect against malicious websites.

Thanks. :)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The fact that services like the ones you mention exist shows that the 9500 malicious sites that Google finds daily is only a portion of what's actually created.
You can report a malicious page to Google using this page, if you want.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
bogdan said:
According to this Google's Safe Browsing is also part of Mozilla Firefox.
So it's not a Chrome-only feature.

I know that, but I'd assume Chrome would get the latest and greatest before other browsers.

Plus Chrome's got some download protection that other modern browsers do not, exception of IE8+

McLovin

Level 78
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That's why it's good like MrXidus said to have something like Panda Web Filtering, BitDefender Traffic Light can help protect against malicious websites. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
MrXidus said:
Using a web guard or filter such as Panda Web Filtering, BitDefender Traffic Light can help protect against malicious websites.

BitDefender TF has some privacy issues, and won't stop you from downloading malware.

Not sure about Panda URL Filtering, never tested it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Google's Safe Browsing does well to wiped out the nasty things that's related on the searches and other sources due to indexed terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.