Advice Request Google Manifest v3 - Finding a functional alternative to UbO now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I use Windscribe VPN. I came across a blog on their website talking about Google Manifest v3 breaking ad blocking extensions or their ability to function. UbO was mentioned specifically.

So with Google's intentions out in the open, would now be the time to find a functional alternative to UbO that will work under Manifest v3?

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Don't worry until the day it's implemented. The whole pandemic has caused the Chrome team to delay a lot of features fortunately (Mv3) and unfortunately (post-quantum encryption). So I honestly doubt that it will even be implemented by the end of this year. It's risking to break too many highly popular extensions and the new work conditions don't give every developer the opportunity to respond and adapt as quickly as they need to. It's not just uBlock Origin that would be hit hard but also HTTPS Everywhere, PrivacyBadger/PrivacyPossum, Grease/Tamper/Violentmonkey, Stylish/Stylus, Decentraleyes/LocalCDN. Manifest v3 is not backwards compatible so all of them will have to rewrite them. I just can't see it happening unless Google plans to kill their most popular extensions and have everyone switch to Firefox.

There is a discussion on v3 here:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Eventually this will be just another reason to use Brave, Firefox or other browsers (?) that won't play Google's game.

"@enmodo @brave It won't impact us because Brave's Shields aren't implemented as an extension and don't depend on that API. Plus, whenever there are Chromium changes which we don't think are positive for the people who use Brave, we don't accept them."

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Agree, except it would make more sense that people switch to another chroimium based browser

I just can't see it happening unless Google plans to kill their most popular extensions and have everyone switch to Firefox risk people switching to Edge-Chromium, Brave, Opera or Vivaldi.

That is IMO also the reason Microsoft works hard on its own extension store. The fact that Microsoft is one of the alternatives (I don't think Google is worried about Brave, Opera or Vivaldi), will be the reason that (as we say in Dutch) "the soup is not eaten as hot as served".

Google will figure out a way on how to reduce and control rights of extensions and offer an escape for these popular extensions.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Chromium-based Slim Jet has recently modified its built-in ad blocker to no longer be an extension, probably in anticipation of the Chrome manifest change.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.