Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
372068yubico.jpg

As our life increasingly moves to the cloud, the need for stronger passwords is more important than ever. But aside from avoiding easy-to-guess birthday/pet name passwords, what else can be done?
Google is now investigating alternatives to the password - like an USB-based card from Yubico that would sign you into your Google account when inserted into a device.
In a paper that will be published in IEEE Security & Privacy Magazine this month, Google vice president of security Eric Grosse and engineer Mayank Upadhyay explore the various ways that people might use passwords in the years to come.[...]

Read More Here

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Google sees one password ring to rule them all

IDG News Service - Google thinks it might have found an answer to the vexing problem of forgotten or weak passwords: "physical" passwords, which might come in the form of a piece of jewelry such as a ring.

In a research paper, two of its engineers write that current strategies to prevent the hijacking of online accounts, including the two-step identity verification system, are insufficient, partly due to the constant threat of attacks that exploit new bugs.

Google highlights phishing, in which hackers dupe account holders into revealing sensitive information by making them sign into a fake account login page, as one of the biggest security threats of today.

"It's time to give up on elaborate password rules and look for something better," the authors say. The research paper, by Google's Eric Grosse and Mayank Upadhyay, is to be published Jan. 28 in the publication IEEE Security & Privacy. It was first reported on by Wired earlier Friday.

Read the rest of this noob entry

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
RE: Google sees one password ring to rule them all

Actually,it is the mean side of google if you ask me

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

:huh: Isnt this article pretty much the same as this one posted 11 mins earlier here http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Google-Wants-to-Kill-Your-Password

Different article yes but same news story

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013

exterminator20 said:
:huh: Isnt this article pretty much the same as this one posted 11 mins earlier here http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Google-Wants-to-Kill-Your-Password

Different article yes but same news story

Sorry for posting it on your topic,you know? someone was at my door at that time,talked with them for some minutes,then I thought I created a new topic,and copy-pasted it. Sorry I thought it is my topic,not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.