greetings, Trojan hunters, Old Timers and Fellow Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Stewart

Thread author
Oct 10, 2014
just dropped by. Your site is well organized and well scripted.

My 1st computer in early 80's was Convergent Technology's , Workstations running their own CTOS, wty support for many languages and built-in Word Processor, called Write One. I supported Arcnet and diskless boots, as the 8" Schugart HDD's weren't all that reliable then. It had a wide green screen supporting 128 columns and each generation was better than anyone else's in the computer world. R&D Progress slowed down after Burroughs absorbed them. They had a product back in the mid 80's that looked like an iPad with a pen, but never found demand for its cost.

The 1st Rootkit I discovered was in the Windows NT days just around when 98 came out. It could make Boot Disk Not Found and offline scans showed no sign of the Windows Directory. Totally gone. I discovered a secret attribute Windows used to store the Volume Name called the -v attribute like -r-a-s-h. When I told Eugene Kaspersky about it, (after they released KAV 1.0) he knew nothing about it. But indicated, you should always backup and test that it works and of course have a good AV program. A

This little flaw in Windows, permitted a single bit to make a Rootkit out NT based Windows injected by an autostart in a boot diskette. Fortunately my HDD engineering background gave me the awareness to fix it with Norton Disk Edit 1.0.

I've helped rid trojans in many hundreds of PC's freely helping others in the course of a year, long ago and recently found interest again. Early tools were Autoruns.exe , HJT and then ComboFix and a bag of others.

My heroes are Mark Russinovich of Win/Sysinternals,M$, Bruce Shneirer of Counterpane and Steve Gibson of GRC/home of SpinRite. All top-notch experts in their fields. I use SysInternals some tools daily since the birth of these tools.

My professional life was in Electrical Engineering... In electronics, R&D, Test and Mfg. all bleeding edge stuff since 1975, now retired.

cheers,

tony near toronto.

P.s.
Does anyone use audio,,video in conjunction with this site for support or only text threads?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
What an enthralling narrative!!:) Thanks for joining our community, and I'm very pleased your story continues here!!:cool:

Update:
P.s.
Does anyone use audio,,video in conjunction with this site for support or only text threads?
@Tony Stewart , in response to your "P.s.", there are occasional screen shots, inserted files, and youtube videos often shared, and some that have been created, by our fellow members!:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.