New Update Guardio - Guard.io | Creating a Secure Digital World, for Everyone.

Add-on/Extension Page
https://guard.io/
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Kongo, have you used this on any browser?

1673021212250.png

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I checked the extension on VirusTotal, Virscan, Polyswarm, Metadefender and Jotti, as here was some discussion that it might be something unreliable. No antivirus company in the world seems to think this extension is dangerous.
SHA-256: 026719533f3af2f052b632b79376df4a9578d0c69278c7156913f78668fb36cd

Too bad that there isn't a version for firefox.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Why would any one pay for this ? the decent protections are all only in the premium version.
U block origin and adguard extension do the same for free. :oops::oops:

Guardio just no ..

Not really. If I understand correctly it also blocks malicious downloads instead of only blocking phishing and malicious sites.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
If you block the malicious sites. you don't have to worry about the downloads ?
So why are Guardio using this approach and charging for it ?
If your AV's web protection blocks all the malicious sites, then your AV wouldn't have to integrate a behaviour blocker, AI and heuristics into their products either. But that's unfortunately not how it works. 😄

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
What does MBBG lack? Blocking malicious downloads?
I don't want to spread false information, but on their website Guardio states that they block malicious downloads. So it looks like the extension is actually able to scan the executable after downloading. Just like any browser does. Malwarebytes Browser Guard however can only block the malicious site where the malicious file is hosted on. It can't analyze and block the file itself.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
If you block the malicious sites. you don't have to worry about the downloads ?
So why are Guardio using this approach and charging for it ?
Because people are lazy and do stupid things like download cracks, warez and game mods. I'm sure it has its market, plenty of teenage kids out there.

But it's snake oil, they would just be working with a blacklist of known malicious hashes or MOTW to determine how fresh a file is and blocking it that way.

SmartScreen does this already, while competition is good, I doubt they have the resources or team to make this a better alternative. Prove me wrong!

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Hmm, can anyone confirm that the extension does not work in Opera? I always get the profile settings page open and even if I try to go directly to the scan page, I still get redirected to the profile page. I checked it in Opera and in Opera GX too. In Edge it works fine.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I don't want to spread false information, but on their website Guardio states that they block malicious downloads. So it looks like the extension is actually able to scan the executable after downloading. Just like any browser does. Malwarebytes Browser Guard however can only block the malicious site where the malicious file is hosted on. It can't analyze and block the file itself.
Long ago (XP-era) I used a heavily tweaked Interet Explorer for daily browsing (and Opera for downloads). IE could be prevented to download programs (and all risky file types). IE in default configuration had many risky features to facilitate corporate web-applications which could all be disabled to make it a safer browser. Also something I learned after purchasing Windows XP 64 bits on which browser containers did not work like Sandboxie, GesWall, DefenseWall, etc, so I had to improvise.

Why don't browser developers offer an easy safe mode in which risky features are disabled (e.g. many site permissions can be set to block/disable without any loss of functionality in Edge). Browsers nowadays offer profiles, so I have two profiles (one in which nearly everything is set to strict/block/disallow and one in default settings), but why don't the browsers themselves offer something similar (in stead of every security aware user discovering these hardened settings in a trial-and-error way).

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.