Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Two Australians managed to get their hands on an ATM machine and re-purposed it to run the Doom game. The deed was carried out by Ed Jones, who goes by the handle Aussie50 on YouTube, and his friend Julian.

Aussie50’s YouTube profile informs that he likes to video document his “weekend hobby engineering/scrap metal recycling work.”

It is unclear where the duo took the ATM, a NCR Personas, from, but they successfully made it run Doom without making any change to the originally embedded operating system.

They also left it in the original casing and used an i-Pac controller for mapping the side buttons, whose function is to switch through the weapons, and also preserved the PIN pad, which they used to play the game.

In the comments section of his video, Jones said that he could upgrade the PC to play modern games, too, but the purpose of the project was to use the original OEM hardware with as little modification as possible.

In this case, hacking an ATM system was done for fun and to see whether it can be repurposed for other activities then checking balances and money withdrawals.

Below you can watch the video made by Aussie50.

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Most ATMs I've come across run Windows XP embedded and the program that displays your balance etc is just an internet page (the ATM connects with the bank through a secure internet connection).

I'd like to see them go further with this and actually adapt the game to read card details to get the persons name and use this to manage a persons game, for example you could carry a save-game on your ATM card. This could be done by embedding data on the existing ATM card, the card will still function at normal ATMs and banks, but this additional 'hidden' data can be used to play DOOM :D

That, in my opinion would be a worthy use for that ATM.

Reactions: Petrovic
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.