Hackers use ‘smart’ refrigerator to send 750,000 virus-laced emails

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Call it the attack of the zombie refrigerators.

Computer security researchers said this week they discovered a large “botnet” which infected Internet-connected home appliances and then delivered more than 750,000 malicious emails.

The California security firm Proofpoint, Inc., which announced its findings, said this may be the first proven “Internet of Things” based cyberattack involving “smart” appliances.

Proofpoint said hackers managed to penetrate home-networking routers, connected multi-media centers, televisions and at least one refrigerator to create a botnet — or platform to deliver malicious spam or phishing emails from a device, usually without the owner’s knowledge.

Security experts previously spoke of such attacks as theoretical.

But Proofpoint said the case “has significant security implications for device owners and enterprise targets” because of massive growth expected in the use of smart and connected devices, from clothing to appliances.
read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/...frigerator-to-send-750000-virus-laced-emails/

Reactions: Malware1

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thingbots from a refrigerator? Looks like I am going to unhook my fridge,diswasher,microwave,stove/oven,washer & dryer from my home network.
I didn't realize there were smart appliances,thank god all mine are old and pre-thingbot

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Thingbots from a refrigerator? Looks like I am going to unhook my fridge,diswasher,microwave,stove/oven,washer & dryer from my home network.
I didn't realize there were smart appliances,thank god all mine are old and pre-thingbot
Just Monday I was discussing in a news forum about "The next privacy battle may be waged in your car." I made this comment.
It won't just be in your car but in your home as well. Smart houses, smart appliances that call in their status, or to indicate issues requiring service will be a new vector of privacy invasion(s) by entities like NSA, and others.
http://tydicea.newsvine.com/_news/2...a-privacy-battle-may-be-waged-inside-your-car

I

illumination

Yeah, im thinking i really do not need everything in my house connected to the internet.. Nothing wrong with the old school way of keeping food ect.. ;)

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
My wife wanted one of those things. It was a samsung refrig with a built in TV. It was fairly cheap considering the size and all the bells. Glad I didn't get it. Who watches TV standing at the fridge?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.