Advice Request "Hardening" - the pros and cons?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What method of system protection do you choose?

• System hardening + own caution

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Antivirus (Internet Security) + own caution

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Antivirus (free) + own caution

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Antivirus (free) + system hardening + own caution

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Antivirus (Internet Security) + system hardening + own caution

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Antivirus (Internet Security) + system hardening + 3-4 additional security programs + own caution

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Antivirus (free) + system hardening + 3-4 additional security programs + own caution

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Antivirus (Internet Security) + 3-4 additional security programs + own caution

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Antivirus (free) + 3-4 additional security programs + own caution

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Hamburger (beef) + cola s
Hamburger (pork) + Pepsi m
Hamburger (chicken) + french fries + cola m

When I go to McDonald's, I am always confused by the many choices. I can not answer immediately for that reason.
Indeed, I did a lot of answer options :) Initially, I wanted to formulate the question this way: Do I need to hardening the system if you use the Internet Security antivirus or a free antivirus and follow the rules for safe working on the network and working for PC? Does this create more problems? But then he reformulated something and it turned out that there is :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Hamburger (beef) + cola s
Hamburger (pork) + Pepsi m
Hamburger (chicken) + french fries + cola m

When I go to McDonald's, I am always confused by the many choices. I can not answer immediately for that reason.
About strengthening the system. I think extreme theory is a cutoff from the network. It has the potential to sacrifice convenience. I think it means that users adjust their registry and policies at their own volition, but I think it's a mere imitation to implement without understanding the settings recommended by others. If you aren't confident you can deal with a failure when it happens, it can be a destruction rather than a hardening.

Suppose you have the ability to disable mouse clicks and keyboard enter keys. It is both an enhancement and a loss. However, I think it would be useful if it works only when a dangerous link is detected.
McD’s in Japan is so much nicer than here.

B

BVLon

I'm 'Antivirus (Internet Security) + 3-4 additional security programs + own caution'

I don't run the additional security programs all of the time, I'll usually do things like weekly MalwareBytes AntiMalware and RogueKiller scans to check in case the main AV has slipped up somewhere. I'd rather not have all my eggs in the one basket.
It's always good to get a second opinion and to confirm the cleanliness of your system. I also have RogueKiller and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool on all of my devices... I don't imagine life without them :D.
I know they won't find anything, but it just feels good confirming it.

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Do you examine the startup sections of the registry and the startup folder as well? Also, do you examine the scheduled tasks? In a while we'll talk about RogueKiller and why I personally find it great.
I control various startup items, of course everything can be viewed for a long time, but the main thing is possible. I heard about RogueKiller, but did not use it.

B

BVLon

I control various startup items, of course everything can be viewed for a long time, but the main thing is possible. I heard about RogueKiller, but did not use it.
The reason why I like it, is because it's actually got kinda like human analysis... you know when we go scheduled task for example, everything with weird name like gFkdsjdakjdz or Windows Server Update, or anything of this sort, this is the first thing that grabs our attention... I created a fake scheduled task with such weird name and it got picked up... It's got some smartness in it

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Indeed, I did a lot of answer options :) Initially, I wanted to formulate the question this way: Do I need to hardening the system if you use the Internet Security antivirus or a free antivirus and follow the rules for safe working on the network and working for PC? Does this create more problems? But then he reformulated something and it turned out that there is :)
I think that building security is endless cooking. Check the taste in the middle of the process, add salt, add water, adjust the heat. That's why we can't affirm the definition of what is needed from what in the beginning.;)

@blackice
McDonald's price list in Japan states that 'the smile of the clerk is free.'👧🍔

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.