Has Anyone Noticed The Increase in SBIE Incompatibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
I know SBIE is really popular and highly regarded...and a lot of people are going to chime in here that it works fine on their specific system without issue.

I've just been noticing a lot of complaints from user's with numerous incompatibilities on the support forums. I'm seeing an increase in paid version complaints. It's right there on the forum...for everyone to see if you pay attention. I've been visiting the forum on a regular basis and just keeping mental notes.

On my system SBIE has never worked well with IE11 and others have reported this on the forum as well.

On the few occasions I did manage to get it to work I was impressed. What SBIE does is great...getting it to work with other software is a wrestling match for lots of us.

I got to tell ya SBIE is not what it once was. Since Invincea's takeover support is virtually non-existent on the forum. They tell you the same stuff...un-install/re-install beta, and are defensive.

I've tried to use SBIE with IE11 through quite a few versions, betas and suggested fixes, but alas, in the end, no dice.

I reached a point where I had to weigh the benefits of SBIE versus some suggested fixes that were, at least as far as I'm concerned, extreme - such as wiping the drive and re-installing all drivers and then an original Microsoft version of Windows as opposed to the Toshiba Windows OS.

Support at the SBIE is very poor - almost as bad as Comodo's in my experience.

PS - In fact, Comodo's forum is not really a support forum but rather much more a pet project for the fanboys.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Yes! How many beta's on average, time/frame? Support very little for other security software meaning AV's? Maybe,5 Av's at most?
Meaning no layering of security software. And it high maintenance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The first difficulty I'd experienced was a non-functioning incompatibility with Sandboxie & Chrome's 64 bit browser shortly after the browser's upgrade sometime in late 2014 after which I'd moved to the 32 bit version Chrome. More recently, we have adopted the latest stable Opera (installed) which operates well with Sandboxie. We did begin to have problems with IE continually crashing. This was shortly following the most recent Windows Security patch updates. I'd learned there was a beta 4.15.5 (I think it was..) from SBIE Forums which helped. Now, stable version 4.16 appears to work well with the latest Firefox & 64 bit portable versions of both Cyberfox & Palemoon browsers, & the Chromium based (installed) Opera browser. Our x86 SlimJet portable still does not, although I remain hopeful.:)

Update: Since browser updates have coincided with those times I've experienced problems, most recently IE's Security Flash update, I assign blame equally between the developers of Sandboxie (Invincea) & whichever browser SBIE happens to not be playing well with. At the same time I remind myself these apps continue to be distributed free for my personal use while trying to remain thankful some (even when not all) work at any given time!:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello Cats,

I had issues between IE11 and SBIE well before the KB to which you refer.

Even with the various betas I can't get IE11 to work with SBIE.

Microsoft says the problem is SBIE ... SBIE says Microsoft is the problem ... and I'm caught in the middle.

SSDD

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Cats,

I had issues between IE11 and SBIE well before the KB to which you refer.

Even with the various betas I can't get IE11 to work with SBIE.

Microsoft says the problem is SBIE ... SBIE says Microsoft is the problem ... and I'm caught in the middle.

SSDD

Oh hjlbx, it's not pleasant to be thrust between Silla & Charybdis.o_O http://genius.com/2808464/Trivium-t...d-charibdis/Torn-between-scylla-and-charybdis. I know the frustration of IE 'disappearing':confused: all too well. I wish this wasn't happening to you, and hope you'll find some satisfaction with considerably less of the dispiriting wait:oops: you've had to endure. Unless you've already reset Explorer, you might try it now.

Last edited:

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have had some issues in the past, but so far version 4.16 has been working well with IE 11 and Chrome 64bit on my Win 7 and Win 8.1 systems.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Oh hjlbx, it's not pleasant to be thrust between Silla & Charybdis.o_O http://genius.com/2808464/Trivium-t...d-charibdis/Torn-between-scylla-and-charybdis. I know the frustration of IE 'disappearing':confused: all too well. I wish this wasn't happening to you, and hope you'll find some satisfaction with considerably less of the dispiriting wait:oops: you've had to endure. Unless you've already reset Explorer, you might try it now.

I am weary of battle, yet I press on with IE11 and Shadow Defender ... :D

For, alas, I am the destroyer of malware ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.