Advice Request Has anyone tested performance of ESS 2017?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffshead

Thread author
Oct 17, 2016
Has anyone ran tests to compare the performance of ESET Smart Security 2017 (v10) to previous versions?

I ask because I really do not like ESS v9. I uninstalled it and re-installed v8 because it performs much better IMHO. I would like to know the direction of ESET. Are there any performance gains with v10 or is ESET continuing to loose focus on performance.

I've been using ESS since v4 and have been very happy over the years but it seems they are adding more and more bloat. A few times, I've tried others such as KIS and BitDefender but they truly did not perform as well as ESS; for me at least. That's why I want to stick with ESS.

I searched the forum but did not turn up any info. My apology if I missed it.

cmdzero

Level 1
Oct 25, 2016
ESET 10 feels a little lighter for me, RAM usage is a third of what it used to be, using around 20-30 MB while idle. Also when performing scans, the rest of the system feels snappier. I recommend upgrading to the latest version.

Reactions: Technozz

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Can check whether you need a removal tool for COMPLETE uninstall of ESET IS 10 from the developer?

Thanks

cmdzero

Level 1
Oct 25, 2016
I used the live installer. It removed the old one and installed the new one automatically without any issues.

EDIT: I believe I have misread, uninstalling from control panel and restarting from my experience has completely removed the program. The uninstaller tool is only if you have an issue with the built-in uninstaller.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I used the live installer. It removed the old one and installed the new one automatically without any issues.

EDIT: I believe I have misread, uninstalling from control panel and restarting from my experience has completely removed the program. The uninstaller tool is only if you have an issue with the built-in uninstaller.

Hi Thanks

What I meant was after normal uninstall is successful did you go into C:/Program Files and C:/ Program Files (x86) to check whether any ESET folder (with files) remaining? If yes, can these be manually removed? Because security products like AV/ISS will have some sort of protection for their files/folders to prevent deletion/modification by malware. Normal uninstall using Windows and even 3rd-party uninstallers might not be able to COMPLETELY remove such folders/files.

Thanks again

cmdzero

Level 1
Oct 25, 2016
Hi Thanks

What I meant was after normal uninstall is successful did you go into C:/Program Files and C:/ Program Files (x86) to check whether any ESET folder (with files) remaining? If yes, can these be manually removed? Because security products like AV/ISS will have some sort of protection for their files/folders to prevent deletion/modification by malware. Normal uninstall using Windows and even 3rd-party uninstallers might not be able to COMPLETELY remove such folders/files.

Thanks again

I believe the self protection mechanism only exists while the product is on the system, that way, malware cannot terminate or mess with the product. To answer your question, yes, once uninstalled, you can safely delete the folders. I never had the issue of not being allowed to delete the folders once the product is uninstalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.