Serious Discussion Hasleo Backup Suite 3.0 launches with file backups and other improvements

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I have a new system that has Secure Boot. Bootable USBs may need Secure Boot disabled. I will share my experience after doing a few restores using the Hasleo Boot Menu.
I performed two restores with secure boot enabled, using the Hasleo Boot Menu. I had made backups on another partition. It successfully completed both restores in 49 and 50 seconds, according to the GUI. There were no issues encountered during the process.

This system has 8 GB of RAM and a 512 GB SSD. The C partition, which is backed up, contains 35.1 GB of data.

Hasleo’s WinPE creation speed for adding the boot menu as per logs:
08/02/2023
Build WinPE image starts 08:59:01 AM
Build WinPE image ends 09:01:43 AM

The backup speed information from Hasleo logs is provided below.
08/04/2023
Full backup starts 11:00:13 AM
Full backup ends 11:01: 44 AM

08/05/2023
Incremental backup starts 11:42:11 AM
Incremental backup ends 11:42:51 AM

08/06/2023
Incremental backup starts 09:22:39 AM
Incremental backup ends 09:23:25 AM

08/07/2023
Incremental backup starts 10:35:27 AM
Incremental backup ends 10:36:09 AM

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hasleo still does not have a digital signature, which could result in issues in recovery due to UEFI/secureboot. Till they do, I will not even consider using it.

In Windows 11, I tested it earlier today w/no problems but I used the UI to restore which then booted automatically into the recovery blue screen. I'm still debating whether to make a "recovery tool" or not.

It seems simple enough for someone who is just looking to make an occasional image to an external drive. And today, Sept. 6th, it still does not have a signature from Microsoft.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

In Windows 11, I tested it earlier today w/no problems but I used the UI to restore which then booted automatically into the recovery blue screen. I'm still debating whether to make a "recovery tool" or not.

It seems simple enough for someone who is just looking to make an occasional image to an external drive. And today, Sept. 6th, it still does not have a signature from Microsoft.
Did you use Add Boot Menu or Emergency Disk from the Tools section?

Can you explain what a signature from Microsoft is?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Can you explain what a signature from Microsoft is?
Doesn't Microsoft sign software .exe that have been verified and vetted by them beforehand? Otherwise they may be filtered out by SmartScreen (which did not object to this .exe) or possibly Secure Boot. In fact, the only thing that blocked the process (and annoyed the crap out of me) was NVT OS Armor, so if one has that also, pls. disable it beforehand. I don't know if VoodooShield (oops, CL) would have messed with it though.

But on Windows 11 Insiders beta, I ultimately had no issues with the backup and restore processes.
Make the recovery tool, (y)(y) u may need it , I have used Hasleo on and off for the last while with good and bad issue's.
Yes, the only thing really is going all the way to Micro Center and buying another USB that only costs a whopping 5 USD. It's a shlep from here. But you're right: better to make one, otherwise you tempt fate. :rolleyes:

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

@plat, Did you use Hasleo within Windows to start the restoration? If so, you need to create the required WinPE for restoration by using Add Boot Menu or Emergency Disk under Tools. I'm not sure if Hasleo automatically creates the WinPE when you start a restore from the interface without using Add Boot Menu or Emergency Disk.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
@plat, Did you use Hasleo within Windows to start the restoration? If so, you need to create the required WinPE for restoration by using Add Boot Menu or Emergency Disk under Tools. I'm not sure if Hasleo automatically creates the WinPE when you start a restore from the interface without using Add Boot Menu or Emergency Disk.
Yes, I had to do that. Hasleo prompted me to create it. As I said earlier to I Walk MY Way, I have not yet created the USB recovery tool, But it was still possible to restore an image from my external HDD using the Hasleo UI. I needed to test and see if it worked, otherwise, you know, what's the point? I don't have any real experience with backup software per so but this was reassuringly simple (for me).

I don't have the drive installed right now so I'm not able backtrack and tell you exactly what transpired during the restore process. I just installed it and followed the directions, which had some jargon but ultimately did the job. Not looking for anything elaborate or full of bloat, just something that can do what I ask in a brief period of time. And Hasleo did just that. 👌

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
A quick question, how big of a USB stick do I need for the USB recovery tool.

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I was looking at how Hasleo would start a restore when I need it. (And I do not need to use it right now. :) ) And the first screen is clear what to choose.

1 Restore Start Menu.jpg

Despite the Partition and file mode choices, it seems clear I would not need to change anything on the second screen either.

2 Select what you want to restore.jpg

And although there are some choices to pick on the bottom, I also believe I should leave things as is on this menu.

3 Select the location you want to restore to.jpg

But the screen below where I need to click 'Proceed' is the one that confuses me. Should I change anything in this menu when I need to use restore? Or should I also leave everything as is, and simply click 'proceed'?

4 Review and change the disk layout.jpg

Sorry to sound like a rookie here, but I prefer to be sure instead of messing things up when it is not needed.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I realized that Hasleo has a forum. They should put their forum link on the dashboard of their website. It seems like major version 4 is coming soon. They have beta 4 on the forum with lots of improvements and new features. I'm especially excited about the new "Delta restore" feature, which is like Rapid Delta restore in Macrium Home.
Who here is using beta 4, and what has been your experience with it, notably with delta restore?

Here is information on delta restore and a link to the beta 4 topic.
The delta restore has a faster restore speed than the traditional full restore because it restores only the changed blocks on the disk. This benefits from advanced delta detection technology, which enables Hasleo Backup Suite to quickly and efficiently check for changed blocks on disk.
Delta restore is now available!!!!

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Can anyone confirm restore works with Intel VMD turned ON? In AOMEI I get the option to include drivers while creating a bootable media.
Basically with VMD turned ON, you will need Intel Irst drivers inside bootable media to see the internal drives. Without irst drivers you won't see any of the internal ssds attached on a VMD enabled system.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Can anyone confirm restore works with Intel VMD turned ON? In AOMEI I get the option to include drivers while creating a bootable media.
Basically with VMD turned ON, you will need Intel Irst drivers inside bootable media to see the internal drives. Without irst drivers you won't see any of the internal ssds attached on a VMD enabled system.
When creating bootable media in Hasleo, you have the option to include drivers. I recommend adding the IRST driver and then testing the bootable media.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Bootable usb has worked fine for me with secure boot. But i have no mouse functionality in that booted menu so i have to use an external mouse. With Image For Windows that is no problem, so i do not know what is going on. But since the restores manages themselves once started, it is no problem.
I tested Hasleo Bootable USB on Win 11 with Secure Boot ON. It worked well, and there were no issues with mouse functions. Have you resolved the issue?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.