Have you had any close calls with malware lately?

Have you had any close calls with malware lately?

• Total voters

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I am simply curious...with your current security config, have you came close to getting infected lately? I have not had any close calls in a long time. I honestly feel very secure because of my layered security + my very careful browsing habits and common sense. I know my security config isn't the top dog, but for me and what I do online it does a great job :)

D

Deleted member 178

It has been a long time i didn't worry about malware, i even don't care now doing safe surfing, they just cant get into my machine, and even if they do, they can't even do anything ( any suspicious behavior is blocked/isolated right away) and even they miraculously manage to infect me, it takes me around 10sec to revert to a clean system; no wasted time about cleaning.

NekoHr

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 5, 2016
I work as IT support in my company, so I would have to say yes, I had close calls with malware lately ;)

On personal system (or rather VM on personal system) didn't have any, unless you count in testing and analysis purposes.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
A family member downloaded a video from sources and asked me why they couldn't play it, while it looked like a real wmv file (size was almost 1GB), upon my limited analysis (due to the file size being so huge) I saw that it was malicious but seemed to be broken, the payload didn't seem to be dropping or couldn't drop because I was using potplayer to try to play the video OR actually dropped and I didn't notice anything happening on the system.

Did a system scan using ZAM, MBAM, Hitmanpro on top with Avast already running in the background in hardened mode. Nothing came up from the scans.

Final verdict was that it didn't drop the payload.

For those interested, the malware was so huge because of all the junk data that was thrown in to make it look like a legit video file.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.