Heimdal what exactly does?

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I purchased some licenses for Heimdal, and used it for a bit. Now I find it generally useless. While it does secure your DNS, and offers some type of traffic scanning aside from that I just don't find it incredibly useful.

Yep. It's not very useful.

For years..... They advertised themselves as more advanced than a traditional AV.

It had three components.
1. Anti-exploit.
2. Web filtering
3. Outbound connection blocking.

But...
1. The free PatchMyPC does more in terms of anti-exploit.
2. Our own @Evjl's Rain demonstrated that other DNS capabilities are superior at web filtering.
3. A good firewall or other product controls outbound connections.

And then... even though they were more sophisticated than a traditional AV.... they added one.

Avira.

Huh.... but I thought...

There are many doubters on this point -- but doubt to your heart's content. All of the best capabilities make sure they get tested by the major test organizations. That is the only way they can be sold to businesses -- who want proof of effectiveness.

Heimdahl has never submitted themselves to testing.

And there is a reason for that.

Avoid. Don't buy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.