Hello everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallas decker

Thread author
Feb 17, 2014
I'm trying to remove Ask.com from my laptop. I followed all the instructions provided by Stelian Pilici on line and it didn't work. Removed other things I was unaware of, but when I open Google Chrome, the search window is still powered by Ask.com. Went to settings and specified Google Search. under the 'manage search engines' I clicked on the x that removed Ask there, but its still there. I didn't find the Ask Toolbar or the Ask Toolbar updater in my programs folder listed as such but found the toolbar listed as Avira Free Search Toolbar. That's distressing since Avira Premium is my anti-virus program. I had used the free version of Avira in the past and when I bought a new Asus $1000 laptop last year [that was subsequently stolen} I went with buying the Avira Premium Suite. The fact that the Ask Toolbar was hiding under their umbrella so to speak causes me to worry some. I uninstalled the toolbar and everything, but as I said Ask.com is still there. Any suggestions?

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
Welcome!
About your problem, you can try to run a scan with Hitman Pro or malwarebytes (It can find all of this leftover files, registery and more

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.