Thread author
Jan 4, 2012
hello everyone!
I am glad to be here. I am from china.
Happy new year to all

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Hello and Welcome. Smile

Create a new thread, about your security configuration.
at this:
http://malwaretips.com/Forum-PC-Security-Configuration-Wizard
so we can give you a suggestion for solid configuration.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips.

Hope that you enjoy your stay :)

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
XtXBw.png

becky2012

Jan 10, 2012
Hello fellow members. I just joined today. Happened upon this site while searching around for programs like PrevxSafeOnline or Webroot SecureAnywhere for that extra layer of protection. I was looking for a price that I could afford so in my search I used the words "discounts" and "bargains". Voila! There you were.

Both my desktop, a Dell Inspiron and my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite are Windows 7 64-bit. Laptop is Home Premium and the Dell is Professional. A bit of a difference. This is my first laptop - not liking it all that much. Too slow and tiny.

My security at the moment is

Dell: ESET Security Suite, PrevxSafeOnline, on demand Malwarebytes Pro, Advanced Systemcare Pro and on demand SuperAntispyware Pro.

Laptop: Nod32, Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials Trial demo, Glarysoft Utilities and the same 3 on demand programs.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the on demand programs so I really do not know how to set them. Therefore they're all set to "Default". I don't understand the technical nomenclature and that puts me at risk but not as much as not having the monitoring at all. Plus I'm not a gamer or file-sharer or a Facebook addict. I find none of that matters because the malware can still find you.

I even have all the high security settings and add-ons on my browsers that I can without going into overkill, having them slow down, hang or crash.

I had a lovely adventure last month with the Prevx which I've had forever. It's great for techie-challenged casual home-users like moi. You buy it, install it and forget about it. Exactly like the ESET anti-virus on both puters. You never know it's there and do not have to do anything. It looks like those "one-click" days are over now though.

What happened was I ran a Prevx scan on the laptop and it found 6 rootkits. They all were here: windows\syswow64. All ended in .dll and all were in this category: Malware Group: Caution.MismatchData. What a shock! I didn't even know they were rootkits or Severe until I went to clean them up. I clicked on the button to do that and it gave me a message telling me my Prevx wasn't licensed. I go into "my account" and
looked around and contacted Support. Turns out I had 2 technical issues with my license on that machine. It was a very long and agonizing nightmare and that's why I am shopping around for a similar program at a price I can afford. The Webroot did not detect them and Hitman Pro did not. So I'm left wondering if they are real and hidden very well or if they're False Positives. Prevx has come a long way in that regard - has improved greatly and IMHO shaken off their very poor reputation as a program that constantly spews False Positives.

I apologize profusely for prattling on and I thank you in advance for any and all TIPS that may come my way. I hope I can contribute and give a couple myself. This group is yet another tool and layer of protection in my mind. Looking forward very much to learning and meeting you.

I do not understand any techie lingo at all or the acronyms either. Whenever I ask for steps on how to perform a task I ask them to give me "Instructions for Idiots" or "Directions for Dummies" . Just a "heads up" in case anyone has a question or tip for me.

Warmly,

Becky2012

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips.

You know you could of created a topic with your name on it?

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi Becky2012,

Create your own thread and copy (copy / paste) your post, that way you would have the answers in your own topic.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.