Not open for further replies.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello folks!

I feel that I'm going to change my operating system (for daily purposes) from Windows 7 to a Linux distro, but I could not decide which one to prefer, and I ask for your opinions about this one. :)

I have a laptop with dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS now, yet I do not like the Unity interface, and dont like some little things about Ubuntu. Like 2 years ago, I came across to GNOME interface, and as far as I remember, it was quite good for me.

I want to dual-boot with a Linux distro based on GNOME (or with anyone that you suggest), but I'm not into Linux distros that much. Any idea appreciated!

Oh, by the way, the main idea is not only based on appearance, but also with long-term support, driver solutions, a crowded community for aid etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
My first suggestion would be Linux Mint. But if you're looking for long term support you could try a rolling release distro such as Manjaro http://manjaro.org/ I really think you would have to go a long way to beat Linux Mint though, It's a great distro. I have mint cinnamon edition on a partition and I have Arch Linux with the cinnamon desktop environment on another partition. Manjaro is a good compromise between those two distros.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
My first suggestion would be Linux Mint. But if you're looking for long term support you could try a rolling release distro such as Manjaro http://manjaro.org/ I really think you would have to go a long way to beat Linux Mint though, It's a great distro. I have mint cinnamon edition on a partition and I have Arch Linux with the cinnamon desktop environment on another partition. Manjaro is a good compromise between those two distros.

Thank you for your awesome help! :)

I have a question to ask, does Linux Mint is good enough for beginners? Because I heard that its suggested for Power Users than Beginners. Manjaro seems good choice between the 2 distros, but is it good at community? I mean, if I stuck somewhere in Manjaro, then google my problem to fix, will I be able to find it commonly as Ubuntu or Fedora (etc.) ?

I believe Mint Cinnamon will be enough for my questions, yet I want to wait for your reply before taking an action :)

Edit : I saw that Linux Mint 13 Maya will be supported until 2017 so its a LTS, I guess I'll go with this one.

Thank you for your kindness, have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
From what you have said I'd definitely go with Linux Mint. It has one of the best communities available, making it very easy to get help. It's a distro that's aimed at beginners, very easy to use with everything you'll need built into it. In my opinion the Cinnamon version looks fantastic. If I was you I'd install the latest version of Mint, Mint 16 Petra and use that for a while. I guarantee you'll like it. Then next year Linux Mint will release the new LTS version ( Long Term Support) which will be supported for 5 years.

Reactions: Sven

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
From what you have said I'd definitely go with Linux Mint. It has one of the best communities available, making it very easy to get help. It's a distro that's aimed at beginners, very easy to use with everything you'll need built into it. In my opinion the Cinnamon version looks fantastic. If I was you I'd install the latest version of Mint, Mint 16 Petra and use that for a while. I guarantee you'll like it. Then next year Linux Mint will release the new LTS version ( Long Term Support) which will be supported for 5 years.

Hello again ZeroDay,

I guess you're completely right, and I'm going for Linux Mint Cinnamon version, but I have a doubt that 16 Petra will be more stable than 13 Maya?

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Hello again ZeroDay,

I guess you're completely right, and I'm going for Linux Mint Cinnamon version, but I have a doubt that 16 Petra will be more stable than 13 Maya?

Linux Mint 16 Petra is very stable. I've had no problems with it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Pear OS is very graphically welcoming, the best I've seen.

Reactions: Sven

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I am considering of using one of those three as secondary OS, I just could not make my wireless card working on Pear OS... It's Broadcom problem with Linux distros, firmware missing issues, so I need to write a bunch of commands in Terminal to make it work. And sometimes without a success. Like in Pear OS 8. I like that system a lot but that problem prevents me from using it :(
But it looks very similar to Mac and it is configurable enough, one hell of the OS!

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I am considering of using one of those three as secondary OS, I just could not make my wireless card working on Pear OS... It's Broadcom problem with Linux distros, firmware missing issues, so I need to write a bunch of commands in Terminal to make it work. And sometimes without a success. Like in Pear OS 8. I like that system a lot but that problem prevents me from using it :(
But it looks very similar to Mac and it is configurable enough, one hell of the OS!

I've installed Pear OS 8, yet I have a Broadcom too. I've had a low-signal network problem on Ubuntu, then fixed it with some driver changes. On Pear OS 8, I saw that I cant see some of the close-signal networks (nearly the same problem with Ubuntu) and I guess the same solution will help me out again. I'll surely inform you what will happen from my side, in a couple of days.

Regards! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.