Advice Request HitmanPro + Webroot ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuyep

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 16, 2016
Hello everyone ! :)

I'm glad to join this awesome forum and for my first post I need your opinion about my new protection please. I read a lot of posts here, about security and AV, and I decided to choose Webroot (Security Anywhere) and HitmanPro.Alert. I chose them because they are really light but they seems strong.

Do you think it's good ? Or I need to add / change something ?

I will use, for my browsing security, AdGuard or maybe Ublock origin + disconect don't know yet.

Thank you in advance for your help and answer !

Have a nice day :)

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's pretty solid combo but security is also preference. You need to like the product and how it works not only protection. Anw try this and get a good backup tool(i use macrium reflect) and you are set. Both products have a trial(30 and 14 days) so try before you buy.
I also suggest going here and see a few other topics to get ideas what most use if you didn't already.

Security Configuration Wizard

Kuyep

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 16, 2016
Hello,

Thank you for your answer !

Yes I really like them, the GUI and how they works. I tried a combo Emsisoft + Zemana too, for one month, but on my pc it was really heavier (don't know why).

I will take a look at the backup tool, thank you for the tip !

Yeah I read a lot of topics from the other members aha, I will share my config too, soon I hope :)

Have a nice day SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
They are heavier because they both actually do stuff on your pc. Webroot mostly doesn't(cloud) and HMPA is an anti exploit.
Emsisoft offers great protection(better than webroot in my opinion), probably one of the best solutions there is if you want to use an antivirus so maybe try that and HMPA. Personally don't like Zemana for various reasons but i admit it's a decent product. I use it as on demand scanner.

Have a nice day and will be interested to see your configuration when you make the topic(quote me). Good luck.

Kuyep

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 16, 2016
Thank you for your all your advice ! I think I will try like that for 1 month, do some test, and I will see if I move to emsisoft again.

Yes no problem :)

Kuyep

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 16, 2016
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Yes I will use Crystal Security and maybe Zamana for on demand scanner.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DardiM and JB007

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I start using HMP.Alert on July 2015 and I like it.
Since April 2016 I run HMP.Alert with Emsisoft Internet Security and the combo is very smooth and whitout any conflict.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

RedTeam

Level 1
Verified
Oct 28, 2016
Running Hintman.PRO.Alert with Emsisoft Anti Malware here. Light on memory and resources.

When I used Webroot it did not offer the best protection. The settings would magically turn off and I would have no protection.

Granted that was 5 years ago. i do agree that it's very light and really easy to use.

Reactions: JB007

pterostyrax

Nov 3, 2016
One huge downside to HitMan Pro is the almost complete lack of technical support - no forum, no e-mail, no telephone. They use some inane program called TeamViewer that you are supposed to download and run. The problem is that TeamViewer quick start gives me an ID and password to supposedly give to someone on the other end, but there is no means of initiating a conversation with someone on the other end. No directions on how to use TeamViewer. I went to the TeamViewer website to try and figure out how to initiate a dialogue to no avail.

I have a particularly malicious malware that prevents me from accessing my e-mail account either through my e-mail program or going directly to my servers website from my browser(s). What is particularly clever is that this malware prevents me from going to the HitMan Pro website also. With no way to contact HitMan Pro using another computer not infected, the HitMan Pro is worthless. I thought a workaround would be to download HitMan Pro onto my uninfected laptop, transfer it to a USB memory stick, and then running it from the infected computer. The problem is that HitMan Pro uses the cloud to investigate potential malware requiring the computer to be able to access the www.surfright.nl address, but the malware prevents any access to the website, rendering HitMan Pro worthless. You would think the developers would like easy feedback for a problem such as this - wrong.

Reactions: BillR5

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
One huge downside to HitMan Pro is the almost complete lack of technical support - no forum, no e-mail, no telephone. They use some inane program called TeamViewer that you are supposed to download and run. The problem is that TeamViewer quick start gives me an ID and password to supposedly give to someone on the other end, but there is no means of initiating a conversation with someone on the other end. No directions on how to use TeamViewer. I went to the TeamViewer website to try and figure out how to initiate a dialogue to no avail.

I have a particularly malicious malware that prevents me from accessing my e-mail account either through my e-mail program or going directly to my servers website from my browser(s). What is particularly clever is that this malware prevents me from going to the HitMan Pro website also. With no way to contact HitMan Pro using another computer not infected, the HitMan Pro is worthless. I thought a workaround would be to download HitMan Pro onto my uninfected laptop, transfer it to a USB memory stick, and then running it from the infected computer. The problem is that HitMan Pro uses the cloud to investigate potential malware requiring the computer to be able to access the www.surfright.nl address, but the malware prevents any access to the website, rendering HitMan Pro worthless. You would think the developers would like easy feedback for a problem such as this - wrong.
Surfright does have "forum" and email. It has no forum on its own, but it uses Wilders Security as its forum. Its two developers are quite active there. Even here in MT, they have accounts here. They also have email. I just don't know their exact email addresses.

pterostyrax

Nov 3, 2016
I appreciate your link to MT Malware Removal Assistance of which I was aware of. Unfortunately, the whole rigaramorole is a complete pain in the ass. As I said before, the big problem with HitMan Pro is the almost total lack of support easily available from their website. To me, it is a non-starter. To others...

Update. I have tried to contact Mr. Loman via the dialogue available here by clicking on Mr. Loman's name in one of his posts to no avail. Apparently, this website does not like my contacting him. I do not remember the exact error message I got when trying to contact him, but it was something to the effect that I wrote something to him that was unacceptable according to the developers of this website, although the message was fairly benign. I simply wrote about the problem I was experiencing, would he be interested in solving a problem with malware blocking access to his site, and the fact that it was extremely difficult to contact his company and inform him of the problem.

What gives with this website blocking access to a conversation with Mr. Loman?

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I appreciate your link to MT Malware Removal Assistance of which I was aware of. Unfortunately, the whole rigaramorole is a complete pain in the ass. As I said before, the big problem with HitMan Pro is the almost total lack of support easily available from their website. To me, it is a non-starter. To others...

Update. I have tried to contact Mr. Loman via the dialogue available here by clicking on Mr. Loman's name in one of his posts to no avail. Apparently, this website does not like my contacting him. I do not remember the exact error message I got when trying to contact him, but it was something to the effect that I wrote something to him that was unacceptable according to the developers of this website, although the message was fairly benign. I simply wrote about the problem I was experiencing, would he be interested in solving a problem with malware blocking access to his site, and the fact that it was extremely difficult to contact his company and inform him of the problem.

If there's still malware in your computer, I suggest you go to MT Malware Removal Assistance first.
After that, you can complain about Surfright's lack of technical support options on their website, on which I think is true. :D

Surfright has a new website in Sophos. I just forgot the link.

D

Deleted member 178

You are a new member, so you have limited access to the forum features and still under moderation period ; so you have to wait a little bit before being a full-fledge member.

Reactions: JB007 and XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.