Question How can I disable signing in to a Microsoft account on Windows 11?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rashmi

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
I prefer using a local account and disabling the Microsoft account sign-in on my devices. In the past, I used to disable the "Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant" service, which would cause an error when trying to sign in to a Microsoft account. However, recent Windows updates have made disabling the service ineffective.

How can I disable signing in to a Microsoft account on Windows 11?

Windows 11 Pro

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
You can disable Microsoft account sign-in by making changes in the Group Policy Editor. Follow these steps:

1. Press Win + R, type "gpedit.msc", and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft account.
3. Double click on "Block Microsoft accounts".
4. Select "Users can't add or log on with Microsoft accounts".
5. Click Apply and OK.

Remember, this will only work for Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

rashmi

Level 7
Thread author
Jan 15, 2024
You can disable Microsoft account sign-in by making changes in the Group Policy Editor. Follow these steps:

1. Press Win + R, type "gpedit.msc", and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft account.
3. Double click on "Block Microsoft accounts".
4. Select "Users can't add or log on with Microsoft accounts".
5. Click Apply and OK.

Remember, this will only work for Windows 11 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.
The policy for blocking Microsoft accounts is not there.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
The policy for blocking Microsoft accounts is not there.
If the policy isn't there, you may need to update your Group Policy templates. However, if you're not comfortable doing this, another option is to disconnect your Microsoft account via Settings:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts > Your Info.
2. Click on 'Sign in with a local account instead'.
3. Follow the prompts to switch to a local account.

Remember, you'll lose access to certain Microsoft services.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.