Advice Request How can you tell if your phone number is in a scammers database ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
One source is right here:

My phone # is not pwned yet, thank goodness. Plus, I have not gotten any spam texts, robo calls or whatnot lately. If you get any of those on a daily basis and you can't nail it down to something you shared, you have to wonder, right?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

My phone # is not pwned yet, thank goodness. Plus, I have not gotten any spam texts, robo calls or whatnot lately. If you get any of those on a daily basis and you can't nail it down to something you shared, you have to wonder, right?
Not even sure if I could trust have I been pawned site, I'm going to stick with

Digmor Crusher statement " just assume it is."​

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

If one starts to get calls/sms from unknown/private numbers it might be a good time to test with that site. Good share @plat (y)

The other option is also if one haven't already, start learn the block options that is builtin the phones OS, so zero need for any extra apps.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I don't know about your country, but in Australia your number is already publicly available through our national directory assistance. Scammers don't need your number, just your name.

Best advice is upnorth's and digmor crusher's, assume the worst and defend yourself best as possible.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't know about your country, but in Australia your number is already publicly available through our national directory assistance. Scammers don't need your number, just your name.

Best advice is upnorth's and digmor crusher's, assume the worst and defend yourself best as possible.
That's what I was sort of thinking, its pretty easy to accumulate phone numbers.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Here is a story, I got a new mobile + sim + new number 2 years ago. For the first few days I was setting up my phone no calls/no texts/no browsing and I didn't contact anyone on the phone or let anyone know the new number. What do I get with a day or two? Spam calls 🤬 and then came the hacking attempts (n) They like to use shortened URLs as phishing lures/malware implants.

I laughed hard when I got the first few texts, but luckily you can block unknown calls/texts now on phones so all good :cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.