How could graphene transform the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Graphene, hailed as a "miracle material", is unbreakable, tougher than a diamond, but stretchable like rubber.

The scientists who made it in Manchester claim graphene will change the way we live our lives.

One of the Nobel Prize winners behind it, Professor Kostya Novoselov, said it would eventually be used in everything from medicine to computers.

Abbie Jones reports.

Link & Video

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Interesting, but I'm confused by the comment that the material is tougher than diamond, yet stretchable like rubber.

It is impossible to have both of these properties.

I'd hoped that maybe the video could explain this statement, but it says nothing of the sort. Is this just a statement that the media came up with?" I suspect this to be the case, as science describes diamonds as "hard", not "tough".

The wiki page on Graphene (Yes, I'm aware that the wiki is not the most reliable reference source) makes no comparison of "toughness" to diamond. The only comparison to diamond I could find was that it has similar thermal conductivity to diamond.

Anyway, this is more of a rhetorical comment. I don't expect anyone to know the actual answer. :)

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I'm as confused as you as regards the diamond comment. I believe you're correct and it was probably just the media. There is the elephant on a pencil comparison in the video relating to the strength of the material.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, I think it's an incorrect statement by someone being confused between hardness (scratch resistance) and toughness (resistance to fracture). Diamonds are the hardest naturally occurring material known, yet as far as toughness is concerned, it's pretty mediocre. Aluminum is "tougher" than diamond. Saying that Graphene is as "tough" as diamond isn't doing it justice. Diamonds can cut through everything due to their hardness, yet are easily shattered with a hammer. Most industrial materials are "tougher" than diamond.

Even if you're looking at tensile strength, (how much pressure something can withstand before deformation) diamond isn't the top performer. Diamond's ultimate tensile strength is only around 2,800, which is surpassed by materials such as carbon fiber, (4,137) and even plain old, naturally occurring Silicon (7,000).

Graphene's ultimate tensile strength however, is an astonishing 130,000! The nearest challenger being Carbon Nanotubes, that can reach up to 63,000.

Anyway, yes, having a substance that has such a high tensile strength, and can conduct electricity better than Silver (the most highly conductive metal) is quite exciting, and as the scientists who created it stated, this will indeed change the way we live!

I can foresee huge changes even in just power transmission! No more bulky, copper power lines. (Assuming that the reduction in power transmission loss and repairs due to natural disasters (downed powerlines) can outweigh the production costs)

And obviously, lighter/stronger electronics that have much higher temperature tolerances. Electronics subjected to temperature extremes don't have a long lifespan because of the constant flexing of the circuit traces when heated/cooled. Graphene would stay flexible enough that this would no longer be an issue.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
It is very exciting indeed. Thanks for you're extra input.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
It can be tougher than diamond means, that the tensile strength of the material is equivalent to that of diamond. That is more pressure and stress can be withstanded by graphene. It can be considered highly elastic version of diamond. Most of the non elastic substances will break by forming cracks. Probably you can stretch this material a lot, ie more stretching force can be applied than the force which will lead to the break up of the diamond structure. Ie even in that stress it wont crack.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
malbky said:
It can be tougher than diamond means, that the tensile strength of the material is equivalent to that of diamond. That is more pressure and stress can be withstanded by graphene. It can be considered highly elastic version of diamond. Most of the non elastic substances will break by forming cracks. Probably you can stretch this material a lot, ie more stretching force can be applied than the force which will lead to the break up of the diamond structure. Ie even in that stress it wont crack.

Did you read my post above? Diamond's tensile strength is 2,800. Graphene's tensile strength is 130,000.

I haven't been able to find any references to Graphene's toughness rating, (fracture resistance) but it's vastly superior to diamond as far as tensile strength.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I did read. Was in a hurry for a competition so details would have skipped me. The only comparision I can make is on the tensile strength nothing other seems logically possible. Yes so in the end I come to your point. Did not have got look at your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.