How do I gain access to the samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerion

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Did the rules change? Thougt it was harder before to get access?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Did the rules change? Thougt it was harder before to get access?
Yes the rules were changed recently. Like @Huracan said above, you now need to have at least 100 posts to be able to acces the Malware Hub. Unlike you say, it's now 'harder' than before to acces it fully. As far as I know, with the old rules, you had acces to it when you were a registered member, no matter how many posts you had, so the rules are now more strict than before.

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Why does how many post you produce matters?
If I only post when I "think" I have something important to say, instead of just mass-posting "Hello", "Great", "Wow" or whatever, I will take me a while to reach a limit.
The most reliable thing to "trust" a member by, must be by his/her conduct and time spent on the forum, not a number of posts.
I say: Open up the "Hub" to the old gent and gals again...

/W

Reactions: simbelmayne
N

Noxx

If I only post when I "think" I have something important to say, instead of just mass-posting "Hello", "Great", "Wow" or whatever, I will take me a while to reach a limit.
The most reliable thing to "trust" a member by, must be by his/her conduct and time spent on the forum, not a number of posts.

/W

The system could be better, but you don't want people coming on the forum not knowing what they're doing downloading malware without having proper prot and understanding the risks. There's a certain expectation that spending time here on the forum conditions you to the risks and what you can do to prevent them. Hence the post limit. Is this true in all cases? No, but I do agree that it's a necessary precaution.

A

Alkajak

/W

People that just download the samples and do whatever they want with them don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Not too long ago when the Hub was open to all, malware analysis websites like Malwr and Hybrid-Analysis were riddled with duplicate uploads because people would rename the files to something else and re-upload it "fresh" instead of "re-analyzing" existing entries. This made it incredibly difficult to find new malware for myself and I'd imagine others, since it was just 24-48 hour old duplicates being re-submitted over and over. By testing these samples, we all have an external responsibility of keeping malware analysis websites clean and organized.

N

Noxx

With old gent and gals I meant the members that are considered trusted and behaves of course.

/W

There's a good chance if someone is considered "trusted" on this forum that they've accumulated over 100 posts. This however doesn't mean that people with over 100 posts are inherently more trustworthy. 100 post limit is more than reasonable for malware sample access with some rare exceptions. Posting malware however is a very different story, and a complex one at that as Modal Soul has made very clear.

A

Alkajak

To re-iterate more on the "100 posts" focus of things; no it isn't the best system as mentioned, but it is a foolproof way of eliminating the leeching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Hello @Tempnexus

You need to be a registered member with at least 100 posts.

Thank you for the question, but please remember to post in the appropriate forums.

Mod Edit Notes: Moved topic from (Virus Exchange) to Feedback and Suggestions.
As @Huracan mentioned the rule is 100 posts.Not cruel but in place for a reason.
We can look at your posts and what you have posted so if someone is inclined to spam the boards for this reason you will not have any access to the Malware Hub forum period.
OP's question was answered thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.