How do I get this phishing page shut down?

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
HSUmwcT.png

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
When I visit https://aufepts.top/, I get redirected to auspost.com.au, which is the legit Australia Post website.
Before the final redirect to the real AusPost website it puts a fake cookie with a type/extension mismatch in your browser's cache that looks like a real AusPost cookie. It was only doing it with Chrome.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Now a million dollar question, what is your purpose? Those webpages exist for a reason, to scam people, if they mistype an address.
Trying to report a fake webpage hosted on top, xyz or whatever TLD is pointless, they are designed to last for this purpose alone.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Now a million dollar question, what is your purpose? Those webpages exist for a reason, to scam people, if they mistype an address.
Trying to report a fake webpage hosted on top, xyz or whatever TLD is pointless, they are designed to last for this purpose alone.
That's what I'm interested in. I want to see where the reporting has broken down. Why can't I report their certificate authority or their host? Nothing works?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Why can't I report their certificate authority or their host? Nothing works?
Certificate authority only verifies the authenticity of the webpage, it is not designed to handle malicious reports otherwise many "free" webpages would be shut down as the result.
When there is like 1 IT person on an island responsible for thousands of domains, he has his hands full, besides he is lucky to get paid, even $20 is a lot, so he does not really care.
Technically he only handles registrations, servers can be anywhere in the world and hosts move the responsibility to the TLD owner, so it is much easier and faster to let DNS to block.

The TLDs that distribute malware the most are.ga,.xyz,.cf,,tk,.org, and.ml. Phishing actors prefer to use.net domains, with.pw,.top,.ga, and.icu, following with notable volumes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.