Serious Discussion How do you choose what security product to try?

How do you choose what product to test?

• Lab tests results (AV-Comparatives, AVTest, etc)

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Magazine recommendation (like PCMAG)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Youtube Channel recommendation (TPSC, Shadowra)

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Forum's users recommendation (like MalwareTips)

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Product advertising online (email marketing, ads)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Most of us don't marry one product just because it was recommended to us. We, mostly, get recommended somehow a security app and decide to test it by ourselves, see how it reacts to our system, and how well it suits us.

But now the question is: how do you reach the point you wanna try a security product? I've created a poll so you can tell us which method you use to decide to test a product.

Delight us! :D

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
MalwareTips contains everything i always are looking for
- malware hub ( currently not active)
- we have testers/ youtubes shadowra and cruelsister usually
- someone always posts latest av-test / comparitive results here
- all discussions about antiviruses on MalwareTips

Im currently using comodo , thanks to MalwareTips :whistle:

lokamoka820

Level 5
Mar 1, 2024
I used to use what is most recommended in YouTube channels and magazine recommendations and independent lab test results, but now I mainly focus on MalwareTips, it is more realistic for users than other resources.

Reactions: RoboMan

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Forum users advice and recommendations only, I rarely watch any videos and if I did they would have minimal effect on my choices.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
Voted Other. - I'll get straight to the point --> All choices are a red flag.

Take caution from the following, as not all will publicly disclose this information:
  • Lab tests - sponsored tests
  • Magazine - paid reviews
  • Youtube - affiliate programmes
  • Community - bias
  • Advertising - bold marketing claims

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I ticked all except lab tests as they usually test the same small amount of AVs that I know about already.

Roger_m`s recommendations are what I trust most as he is interested in low system impact and he`s been testing them all for years.

Regards Eck :)

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
Most of us don't marry one product just because it was recommended to us. We, mostly, get recommended somehow a security app and decide to test it by ourselves, see how it reacts to our system, and how well it suits us.

But now the question is: how do you reach the point you wanna try a security product? I've created a poll so you can tell us which method you use to decide to test a product.

Delight us! :D
I would think people who participate on security forums would be the types that use trials as their primary means to make decisions.

Security is not software. It is a process, but...

So Many Softwares, So Little Time

excited-whoo.gif

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would think people who participate on security forums would be the types that use trials as their primary means to make decisions.

Security is not software. It is a process, but...

So Many Softwares, So Little Time

View attachment 283932
You use a trial to see if the product you're testing is worth keeping. But that's not my question. My question is, how you get to the point where you're testing a product? You see the antivirus name on an ad and decide to use their trial? You see it recommended on a forum? That's my question, how you reach the point of testing the poduct.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.