What Security Method(s) Do You Use To Log In To Your Home Computer/Laptop?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

For Windows the usual methods for home users are

1) Password
2) Pin
3) Iris Scan
4) Fingerprint Method
5) 2-Factor Authentication using the above combo

What is two-factor authentication (2FA)? - Definition from WhatIs.com

According to the above link, then for 2-Factor Authentication you can either

combine 1) or 2) with either 3) or 4)

But all the above methods have one great problem and that's the password/pin/signatures are stored on your computer which, if stolen, can compromise your data.

Below is a free software for creating hardware USB token keys. I think you can make a few keys and keep them in case you loses one.

Rohos Logon Key Free – Rohos

It's more difficult to compromise a hardware key but there are some inconveniences that comes with it. See below link. Anyone knows other such free software to create hardware USB token key?

3 Tools for Turning Your USB Drive Into a Secure Unlock Key for Your PC

In addition, encrypting the whole drive and have a password to turn on when Windows goes into hibernation will definitely strengthen the security of your computer/laptop.

For now I'm just using a password to access my tablet and I'm thinking of hardening the security of my tablet.

So, how many uses a hardware USB token key to access your computer? Like to share your experience?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.