Advice Request How exploitable are email clients?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
Now this was the best explanation and I'm paranoid when it comes to security and keeping my data secure and not lose them, so I will try this Mailbird Pro now and try to get it's lifetime license ;) Thanks, mate. Just like how my father explains me things.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Now this was the best explanation and I'm paranoid when it comes to security and keeping my data secure and not lose them, so I will try this Mailbird Pro now and try to get it's lifetime license ;) Thanks, mate. Just like how my father explains me things.
Hi there,
if you are going for mailbird, it downloads everything real fast, and it works great with gmail, and it is cool software.
but... by default it does not download large attachments. You can change that default, but I had trouble getting it to consistently download my attachments, I am talking like about a year ago, and I don't know if they fixed that bug.
So, try it out, but keep an eye on those attachments and whether it is doing what you want with them.

If you like to be paranoid about your online data, best strategy is to run mailbird once every few days, you can make a Windows scheduled task for that, if you want.
The problem with running it constantly is that is constantly syncs. So if your online data somehow gets messed up or deleted, it will mess up and delete your backup, too. So that's why best policy is to run it only once in a while. IMHO.

Reactions: whizkidraj

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Here is something directly from Microsoft: How outlook protects you from viruses, spam, and phishing

It can be exploitable - probably not to to the extent of browsers without user interaction.

Microsoft Outlook in the past has seen OLE exploits, malicious JavaScript (agree with @Spawn and @Wave the member who recommended changing the settings to display plain text only) can be an issue as well as embedded IFrames.

Recommendations based on past campaigns that exploited vulnerabilities recommended disabling both message and attachment preview. has been an issue in the past. I personally have it disabled completely. I got an email that the filter missed in my inbox containing an exploit packed in a .zip file. 1 click away.

• Where the email is coming from?
  • Has it been screened by a gateway protected with something such as Barracuda?
  • What type of code is the software programmed with?
  • Client built in Security controls (Outlook by default no longer displays Macros or ActiveX content)?
  • If Add-ins are installed?
  • If your software is up-to-date?
  • The End User?
Keep all software updated, not just your email client. Use good judgement when browsing the web is the simple version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.