Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Whether you're a nation or a citizen, cyber security is an ever-growing issue – new hacks or data breaches emerge daily, in which people's information is exposed or leaked, from bank details to intimate photographs. But is the threat of being hacked something that you or I really need to worry about? And if someone did hack into your computer, what would they be able to do with the information they found?

Over the summer I decided to put these questions to the test. I got in touch with an 'ethical hacker' called John Yeo, who works for cyber security firm Trustwave, and asked him to try and hack me.

The job of an ethical hacker is to do 'penetration testing' for companies. This means they adopt the role of a real hacker and use the same tools that real hackers use to try and break into a company's computer systems, to identify vulnerabilities. The ethical hacker then tells the company what they have found, so that it can fix the vulnerabilities before a real hacker discovers and exploits them.

Hacking an individual is quite a different matter, and John warned me that the attempt may be unsuccessful. Apart from anything else, I knew that it was coming, so would inevitably be more cautious than usual about opening suspicious emails. He also explained that most hackers would 'spread their bets' and target large numbers of people in one go, rather than just one, to increase their chances of success. However, he said he would give it a go.

On 24 July I signed a waiver stating that the ethical hacking would be carried out at my own risk and that I would be solely responsible for any damage. Then everything went very quiet. I went about my life as normal, and John and his team of ethical hackers at Trustwave 'SpiderLabs' began scraping the internet for every piece of information they could about me.

Interesting read:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...153381/How-hackers-took-over-my-computer.html

D

Deleted member 21043

Whoa, I thought the thread title was referring to YOU being hacked, and I was getting curious!

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Whoa, I thought the thread title was referring to YOU being hacked, and I was getting curious!
Yes I agree it seemed that way!

PS:MalwareTips members don't get infected:p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Just like Kram, I found myself concerned for the member whose white gloved hand guards the circle of red! The narrative is so engaging as we're lulled into feeling the story is being told with the voice venustus himself!o_O
Thank goodness
MalwareTips members don't get infected:p
;) :D

Update: *serious face now*
I'm certainly hoping that last bit of humour has some fibres of truth :confused: ..because, for the very first time, today, I'd paid for something *gasp*:eek: online! (..and incorporated some personal information to boot!):mad: I suppose it's time to forward all other e-mail accounts to Google's gmail. ..and never pay for anything online:oops: ever again!!:rolleyes: :p:D

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quick and useful Tip:

Open Windows / File Explorer > Options (Folder Options) > View > In Advanced Settings, de-select 'Hide extensions for known files types'. > Apply > OK (to Save changes).

upload_2014-10-10_23-59-15.png

This should then show the file extensions for all files on your computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.