How much does HTTPS protect your data?

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Https gives end-to-end encryption. But is the data transferred visible to your ISP?
Apparently the ISP can see your device connected to a site with https, but can it also see your log-in info, pages visited (on that site), anything typed etc?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Your ISP cannot see your login info or what's typed on an encrypted connection but it can see the domains you've visited through DNS queries (assuming you're using your ISP's assigned DNS server that comes assigned to your computer by default) which are pretty much never encrypted. DNS queries cannot reveal the individual pages of a domain visited however and you're free to change your DNS server on individual devices or your router.

Last edited:

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
yup, mine doesn't allow me to change my DNS. When i asked why they don't allow, they said something like this "Using our DNS provides better reliability and higher speeds through peering".
Thats the dumbest answer I´ve ever seen omfg. Even if they had the "Best Dns" it should be user choice and not theirs so there is something fishty behind that answer.
Sorry bad english

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thats the most dumb answer I´ve ever seen omfg. Even if they had the "Best Dns" it should be user choice and not theirs so there is something fishty behind that answer.
Sorry bad english
Although their DNS is faster than Google public DNS here, still it's dumb to not allow it. Maybe it also have something to do with being double NAT'ed connection.
PS, i have unlimited 50 Mbps (both U/D) connection for about $12/month, it's the best bang for buck in my area for the time being

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

7sean68

Level 1
May 12, 2017
yup, mine doesn't allow me to change my DNS. When i asked why they don't allow, they said something like this "Using our DNS provides better reliability and higher speeds through peering".
some ISPs do this to block some sites or to acquire some data about site frequency; If you use another DNS they only see the ip not the Domain Name (some servers have multiple sites running on it)

BTW I saw some place where the ISP blocked facebook by resolving www.facebook.com to 127.0.0.1 :p:p

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.