Troubleshoot How my core i9-9900K processor reached 6690 MHz (6.7 GHz) without overclocking!

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC reaching 6690 MHz without overclocking.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
No
I was playing Forza Horizon 5 and I had HWMonitor running on background because my PC is getting very hotter than normal, and temperature reached 87 C which is not normal for my pc.
1660466983774.png

• Wow
Reactions: plat and show-Zi

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe recheck the displayed values again another monitoring tool. No clue if you can run e.g.Cpu-Z and yours at the same time to check the clock speed that they display while you just have windows running.
For the temps: The fans and heat sinks are dust free? (given it's summer and warm in most country's atm)

Upvote 0

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Maybe recheck the displayed values again another monitoring tool. No clue if you can run e.g.Cpu-Z and yours at the same time to check the clock speed that they display while you just have windows running.
For the temps: The fans and heat sinks are dust free? (given it's summer and warm in most country's atm)
CPU Core clock multiplier range is from 8 to 134, is it normal? I think it should be like 8 to 50 for core i9-9900k
1660472713799.png

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hmmm. :unsure:

Specifically post #2 which talks about a "golden chip" of "only" 5.3 GHz. Honestly? I would ask this of Intel itself. Maybe it's an anomaly of the sensor although I see that the wattage increased proportionately. on your read out and frankly, I'm surprised the temps weren't even higher than that.

Maybe consider the IPDT. (doesn't take very long).

I think it's an interesting case for Intel--as these kinds of clocks are normally reached with liquid nitrogen and special setups.

Upvote 0

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
CPU Core clock multiplier range is from 8 to 134, is it normal? I think it should be like 8 to 50 for core i9-9900k
For me it reads: You are running at a Multipicator of *47 (ignore the 8-134) with a bus speed of 99,96. Which means you should only archive 4700 MHZ (Multiplicator 47 * "rounded" 100 bus speed). (After rereading im not sure about it)
Maybe try the "bench" tab on cpu-Z, chose stress cpu and while it's running switch back to to "cpu" tab to see what it shows as coreclock.
Then do the same again while also running HWMonitor and see if the HWMonitor MHz matches the one shown in Cpu-Z.
Wild guess from a novice user here that HWMonitor MHz displays wrong data for whatever reason.

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.