Question How secure is passkeys stored in a windows desktop protected by windows hello login?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Recently I started to use passkeys in my windows desktop. It's protected by windows hello login. I want to know how secure is passkeys stored in a windows desktop protected by windows hello login?
Can it be stolen by a 3rd party who have hacked to my machine?
Where do windows Store passkeys? Is it in tpm?

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Don't rely on a single device storage for passkeys, create additional passkeys on a secure password manager.

For example, Windows OS becomes corrupt and you are forced to clean wipe.
I have additional passkeys on bitwarden, 2Fa keys on authy and backup keys for allmost all my accounts.

Wrecker4923

Level 1
Apr 11, 2024
Don't rely on a single device storage for passkeys, create additional passkeys on a secure password manager.

For example, Windows OS becomes corrupt and you are forced to clean wipe.
Or you can turn this around on its head and basically say, I'll use password+2FA everywhere else except for this main machine that I can use passkeys to conveniently and safely access the accounts. Passkey's private keys stored in password managers can be breached (for example, you get a malware), but the private keys stored in Windows credentials protected by TPM may not (time will tell). It's the classic tradeoff between security vs. accessibility.

Reactions: simmerskool

EstrellaRhodes

Jun 3, 2024
Passkeys stored on a Windows desktop protected by Windows Hello are pretty secure since Windows Hello uses advanced encryption and the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) to protect your data. The passkeys are indeed stored in the TPM, which makes it difficult for hackers to steal them even if they manage to access your machine. It's always good to stay cautious, keep your system updated and use reasonable security practices.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.