Advice Request How should I do for keeping safety when open PDF files?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which software is better as PDF viewer for keeping safety of my PC?

• Adobe Acrobat Reader (with enabled enhanced security, and unavairable Javascript)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft Edge (Windows 10 Browser)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Google Chrome (Latest version)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Mozilla Firefox (Latest version)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other PDF Viewers

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Good evening everyone. Thanks for your access to this thread.
Now I am having a question about keeping safety when I open PDF files on my PC.

Some times, I open some PDF files on my PC (Desktop and note, each PC) when 2years ago.
But now, I want to know that how to open PDF for keeping more safety (no malware, no exploits, and no security risk) on my PC.

My method:
Past
I was used to open PDF files by the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (with enable enhanced security, and unable Javascript).

Now
I am opening PDF files by Microsoft Edge (associated to ".pdf" files).

Question:
Please tell me about more safe method for opening PDF files.
Which software is better as PDF viewer, browser (edge,chrome,firefox...) or Adobe Reader?

My PC:
Windows 10 Home
Windows update patches are installed at fast after released it.
Security software is F-secure SAFE (I can use Avast Free instead of F-secure).
I have also installed Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome to my PC.

It may be that I will reply everyone too late. But I am going to read all answers. My ability of using English is not good, so if there are some miss-senteces as question, please teach me it by all means.

Thank you.

Reactions: cryogent and mal1

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
There's alot of Adobe reader alternatives outside; Sumatra, PDF Xchange, etc. List is endless.

Currently Mine is using PDF Xchange, as I'm a heavy PDF "commenter".

Safety wise, typically try to avoid downloading and pdf from unknown sources especially email.

Reactions: cryogent and Ink

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
edge has good anti-exploit features that protect the rest of the system. But if you also use edge as your browser, whatever junk that was in your pdf file might effect the browser, so that's not good.

Reactions: Dirk41

could malicious code in a PDF infect Edge?

About a year ago TrendMicro made a statement that they thought so. It was their opinion at that time that both Edge's ability to open PDFs and its Adobe Flash integration introduce unnecessary risk to AppContainer.

I don't know if TrendMicro thinks the same today.

However, Windows 10's anti-exploit protections play a part in protecting against PDF\Flash exploits - so one should not focus solely upon the fact that a PDF is run in the AppContainer. What really matters is if W10's protections will prevent a PDF exploit.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
About a year ago TrendMicro made a statement that they thought so. It was their opinion at that time that both Edge's ability to open PDFs and its Adobe Flash integration introduce unnecessary risk to AppContainer.

I don't know if TrendMicro thinks the same today.

However, Windows 10's anti-exploit protections play a part in protecting against PDF\Flash exploits - so one should not focus solely upon the fact that a PDF is run in the AppContainer. What really matters is if W10's protections will prevent a PDF exploit.
if you had a choice between Sumatra and Edge, to open a suspicious PDF, which would you choose?

Reactions: Dirk41

Good evening everyone. Thanks for your access to this thread.
Now I am having a question about keeping safety when I open PDF files on my PC.

Some times, I open some PDF files on my PC (Desktop and note, each PC) when 2years ago.
But now, I want to know that how to open PDF for keeping more safety (no malware, no exploits, and no security risk) on my PC.

My method:
Past
I was used to open PDF files by the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (with enable enhanced security, and unable Javascript).

Now
I am opening PDF files by Microsoft Edge (associated to ".pdf" files).

Question:
Please tell me about more safe method for opening PDF files.
Which software is better as PDF viewer, browser (edge,chrome,firefox...) or Adobe Reader?

My PC:
Windows 10 Home
Windows update patches are installed at fast after released it.
Security software is F-secure SAFE (I can use Avast Free instead of F-secure).
I have also installed Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome to my PC.

It may be that I will reply everyone too late. But I am going to read all answers. My ability of using English is not good, so if there are some miss-senteces as question, please teach me it by all means.

Thank you.

PDFs are used to compromise the system via exploitation of vulnerabilities in the PDF reader\editor.

Adobe is widely installed on many millions of systems - that is why malc0ders target it.

Switch to a PDF reader\editor that is not widely targeted by malc0ders. It is the most simple, cheapest strategy.

if you had a choice between Sumatra and Edge, to open a suspicious PDF, which would you choose?

Simply choosing between one or the other without consideration of any external security factors - Sumatra. That's only because I think nobody bothers to target it. Sumatra is a limited functionality\complexity product compared to Edge - even though Edge obviously has more protection mechanisms.

I don't worry about it. PDF exploits usually succeed due to someone running an old, unpatched version of Adobe Reader.

To be perfectly honest, I am much more interested in a PDF reader's reliability, simple operation - especially smooth scrolling and the ability to search the document and then copy-paste text\images. In that regard, both Sumatra and Edge work just fine. I actually use both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ink and shmu26

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Good evening everyone. Thank you very much for your replies and I have read all.
These are very useful for me to decide software for keeping security when I open PDF files.

I use pdf viewer for viewing PDF. I rarely use viewers for editing PDF files.
So I decided to use Microsoft Edge as PDF viewer for the time being.
According to everyone's opinions, Edge is the most userful PDF viewer for me if I use it for only viewing PDF.
And, Smatra PDF also sounds good for me. I felt it.

Thank you very much! :)

Reactions: Ink

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
Another vote for Foxit or using the browser's native PDF viewer in safe mode - As always. A non-administrator user account is advised. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.