Guide | How To How To Automatically Update drivers using Windows’ Device Manager

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Windows Device manager shows you each piece of hardware and gives you the option to update the drivers. To update drivers with Device Manager:
1. Press the Start button
ilDJbM.png

2.In the Search Box type update drivers, and click Update device drivers.

ilHX3S.png

3.Right click the device you’d like to update and click Update Driver Software

ilI59Y.png

4.Select Search automatically for updated driver software

ij1Tmk.png

5.If a driver is available, you can download it and install it.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Once when I didn't have internet connection, even then the update said I have the latest driver. So I doubt if this even works.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
This was useful back in the days if I may say (Windows XP time), but right now, it's pretty much useless. You'll either end up with random drivers that are months behind or (in 95%) of the situations, it will tell you that your drivers are already up to date, even if there's none or the wrong ones are installed.

I would rather download my laptop/computer/hardware manufacturer official drivers rather than doing this because in the end, Windows will tell me that my drivers are up to date (even then they aren't) and I'll have to do that anyway.

An interesting option however is "Update drivers" and "Choose drivers location manually", THIS is very useful when you install drivers that came with an .exe wrapper and you extracted them from that wrapper or that the .exe installer fails (like Realtek and their Deep Sleep Mode error message).

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
OMG the trick is working on win8.Thanks Jack.
Hi ! I'm glad it worked for you! The best place to get drivers is from your PC manufacture. I have found that to be the best way.
If this works for you, that's great! IMHO don't update drivers if it ain't broke! Windows will usually up date needed drivers.
May I ask why you think you need to up date drivers on W8??

Drivers downloaded from the manufacturer will be the most tested and up to date available. The manufacturer is almost always the original source of any driver you find anywhere else so why not download it from the source

FYI In 13 minutes, I will have been a member of MT for one week!:)
PS Some manufactures will scan your PC and give you the up dates!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.