Guide | How To How-to Avoid getting scammed in Steam

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Trysoft

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 25, 2016
This is a guide ( Steam Community :: Guide :: Types of Scams - And how to avoid them ) to all those gamers out there to learn more about Steam Trading; this guide is just rewritten from the works of Seimmy ( Steam Community :: Seimmy ).

The guide refers to a game called TF2, you may not get what he is saying with references to things like unusuals (unusuals are just expensive) .

Anyway, like any other scams three things to keep in mind is to:
  • Be Vigilant (Don't just buy expensive stuff without understanding the system. You will be bombarded with people trying to scam you)
  • Be Heartless (I know this may scare people and might not want to be rude to whoever but i have seen many of my friends falling victim to psychological scams)
  • BE EDUCATED (Yes, i don't mean like having some degree or going to MIT but researching the Steam trading system for the particular item can help a lot to save you from scams or getting some sweet, sweet profit. There are also many free sites that help with this such as SteamAnalyst.com - CS:GO Skins, Weapon Price and Trends, Trade Calculator, Inventory Worth to help with CSGO trading)

Common Scams that i have encountered before include:
  • Paypal Scams ( Getting yourself scammed this way can get yourself trade banned :(. Against rules this way)
  • Steam Card Scam ( Yes, the code ain't real)
  • Middleman Scam ( Please don't get yourself into this. This is just a really risky way to trade, just deny any offers to do this, just request a one on one) Also, i lost my unusual to this scam. I'm depressed :(

Scams are just sending people in a downward spiral and we can't stop this from ever happening but we can inform others/educate ourselves. Also, don't spend your entire life savings for some Dragon Lore CSGO skin or any other items because it's just not worth it to lose everything down a drain to a scam. You'll just get depressed and Steam Support is not going to care; all they want is for you to spend.

The files listed are just examples of what i encountered on Steam.

scam.jpg

Attachments

• scam.txt
    5 KB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This sounds a little Biased, I have had my steam acct stolen, it was years ago but Steam was very quick to respond, while I was there with them on the phone they reclaimed my acct, my access history was from the us and it was being accessed from Russia, so it was clear it was stolen.
I often have cash in my Steam account (Wallet) and I have noticed that it is at that time I get a lot of email verifications.
I have 2FA enabled these days and it is funny how your acct can be monitored for the wallet balance and the interest that
generates with the crooks.
Being a veteran gamer I have a ton of friends and long time gaming pals who have Steam and none of them have had issues getting
their accounts unlocked or returned to them. Steam has come a very long way over the years, as it is now, it is one of my favorite
gaming clients, its not the most secure, Origin, the EA client gets that award IMHO, with Ubisoft's UPlay a close second.
GOG is a great "up and comer" but it is still a little basic for my taste.
My tips for staying safe, 1> 2FA all the way. 2> Don't trade or interact with people you don't know or trust.
Follow those 2 rules and it is pretty smooth sailing with any of the 4 existing major game clients.
The rest is just common sense these days.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have had my steam acct stolen, it was years ago but Steam was very quick to respond, while I was there with them on the phone they reclaimed my acct, my access history was from the us and it was being accessed from Russia, so it was clear it was stolen.
Do you know how your account credentials were compromised?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Spawn
They would not go into detail, as I was seen as just "common folk" and they the "professionals"
but this was before 2FA was very popular and they changed my email address in the steam client
somehow because I could not log onto the site either and had to call them, and before we ended the call they
made me verify that I got an email for the password reset, they wanted to make sure my email address was
re-associated with the Acct. that says a lot right there.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM and Ink

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
All online services get hacked, my PSN account was compromised, and Sony even shut it down so I had no access to my PS4/Vita games. Quick call fixed that (and I go a $10 PSN credit)

With almost all of these services, don't trust messages or anything from someone you don't know.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.