App Review How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Britec09)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
P

Plexx

Thread author
This video should help some users who would like to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Video by Britec09

Last edited by a moderator:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Excellent guide, but beware I have to re-active Windows 7 after installing dual boot with Windows 8. Windows 7 came up not genuine, I had to enter the license key from my CD and activate again.

I don't know what the problem was but the first few times I booted into Windows 8 then rebooted back into Windows 7, I had to re-active each time.

With some tweaking using EasyBCD, I was able to fix the problem.

Enjoy!!:D

P

Plexx

Thread author
Littlebits said:
Excellent guide, but beware I have to re-active Windows 7 after installing dual boot with Windows 8. Windows 7 came up not genuine, I had to enter the license key from my CD and activate again.

I don't know what the problem was but the first few times I booted into Windows 8 then rebooted back into Windows 7, I had to re-active each time.

I got a laptop here with W8 pre-loaded and the user wishes to dual boot his windows 7 home premium.

Since it belongs to a friend and he is busy in a trip with family I have around a week to do so.

Mind if I ask what tweaks/fixes you applied to fix the problem? Just in case I stumble upon the same issue as you.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
Littlebits said:

I got a laptop here with W8 pre-loaded and the user wishes to dual boot his windows 7 home premium.

Since it belongs to a friend and he is busy in a trip with family I have around a week to do so.

Mind if I ask what tweaks/fixes you applied to fix the problem? Just in case I stumble upon the same issue as you.

I'm not sure if my tweaks will help you with your situation.
From what I read, if you want to have Dual Boot with Windows 8 you first have to install the older version of Windows, then install Windows 8 last.

EasyBCD needs to be launched on Windows 8 after it is installed in order to setup it up properly. Windows 8 will recognize its installed hard drive as "C", then though when booting into Windows 7, the same hard drive will have another drive letter mine is "E". You have to make sure the Boot loader is setup according to how Windows 8 has your hard drives listed.

I believe what messed up the Windows activation was when I changed Windows 7 as the default OS to boot it changed the partition info, Windows thought it was installed on another system and required re-activation. The boot loader is installed in the "System Reserved" part of the partition which can mess up Windows activation.

I advise you to have the Windows discs handy in case you need to re-activate or have problems and need to run manual repairs. Not all Dual boot setups work as intended.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I installed windows 8 side by side with windows 7 on the same drive without any problems at all.Partitioned the drive and installed windows 8.During Windows 8 installation it will ask you what OS you want as the default boot.I set it to Windows 7.I havent tried it on separate hard drives with windows 7 & 8.I have a dual boot on one desktop with XP & windows 7 on separate drives and had to use EasyBCD but didnt have any problems.

I have no issues whatsoever with booting or Windows having to be reactivated.

Here is a good tutorial on it also http://lifehacker.com/5840387/how-to-dual+boot-windows-7-and-windows-8-side-by-side looks to be pretty much the same as the video

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.