Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Jack submitted a new resource:

How to Enable Windows Defender’s PUP Protection - Learn how to enable the PUP detection in Window Defender

Windows Defender has made great steps into improving the protection for Windows 10 users, however there is a settings which if it's enabled will detect and block browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs.

While Microsoft announced the new PUP blocking feature as only available for the Enterprise edition of Windows 10, Home and Pro editions can also enable it on their Windows 10 PCs to block unwanted programs.

To enable Windows Defender’s PUP protection follow the below...

Read more about this resource...

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Cant get it working, if u run powershell as non admin it just says i dont have permission to do that
And when i run as admin, it just wont say anything

Reactions: upnorth

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Cant get it working, if u run powershell as non admin it just says i dont have permission to do that
And when i run as admin, it just wont say anything
Hey,
Yes, when run it will not say anything, however you can run these 2 commands to check if it's enabled or not. If it it's enabled it should say 1, if no it will be 0.

Code:
$Preferences = Get-MpPreference

Code:
$Preferences.PUAProtection

123.jpg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Or you can just use Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender.
Never tried andys, im running syshardener ( pretty much maxed everything) + windows defender. This is just occasional setup, but i kinda like it.

tldr; what andy does better? im gonna check it up now

edit: would syshardener + andys defender work together? Kinda offtopic

Reactions: Jack

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Never tried andys, im running syshardener ( pretty much maxed everything) + windows defender. This is just occasional setup, but i kinda like it.

tldr; what andy does better? im gonna check it up now

edit: would syshardener + andys defender work together? Kinda offtopic
Andy's Defender tool gives you a centralized GUI for managing pretty much all the advanced Defender settings. Most notable is the ASR -- Attack surface reduction -- rules. They are very powerful, and they go way beyond syshardener. But no problem using both.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I don't even have run Powershell as admin on my right click start menu. Windows Home.

EDIT: I had to go into settings and change it from showing command prompt to showing Powershell.
ScreenHunter_113 Aug. 04 16.25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Winaero program has one click option to enable pup protection in its Windows Defender section,many other nice tweeks,plus its free gl

Peter Phillie

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for sharing this helpful resource about Windows Defender PUP Protection activation! This will help me detect and block browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs. And this great steps will improve the security and protection for Windows 10 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.