Guide | How To How to Encrypt Your DNS for More Secure Browsing

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

zikoeidos

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 25, 2014
Hi Guys
We all know the benefits of third.party DNS servers . and there is one additional benefit it's the ability to encrypt all of your DNS requests for protection for you from anybody who's trying to spy on you .
DNScrypt is the best solution from OpenDNS. so enough talking and let's get to work
First thing you need to do is download this instalation package Here
dnscrypt-1.png

Now you have to creat a folder in your desktop called DNScrypt

dnscrypt-2.png

Now let's get to work
1) Open an elevated command prompt as administrator
2) enter the following command
cd “C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\DNSCrypt\bin”

dnscrypt-3.png

Now you'll need to install the proxy service to that enter this :
dnscrypt-proxy.exe --resolver-name=opendns --resolvers-list="C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\DNSCrypt\bin\dnscrypt-resolvers.csv" --test=0

dnscrypt-4.png

If your CMD window looks like the image above re-enter the same command but change test=0 to install
dnscrypt-proxy.exe --resolver-name=opendns --resolvers-list="C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\DNSCrypt\bin\dnscrypt-resolvers.csv" --install

dnscrypt-5.png

3) Change your DNS Setting

dnscrypt-6.png

dnscrypt-7.png

dnscrypt-8.png

Change the Preferred DNS server to “127.0.0.1” then click “OK”
dnscrypt-9.png

open the TCP/IPv6 settings and change the DNS settings to “::1”

aHXO10I.png

congrat Now you have successfully and completely secure and encrypted DNS connection

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I was looking for a way to do this a while ago, but had no luck... might give it a shot with this tutorial... thanks a lot!

What happens if the user has a TAP Driver? Or doesn't it matter since the VPN has its own DNS addresses?

My VPN is about to introduce their own in-house DNS addresses... So, how to fully uninstall DNSCrypt? (or is swapping --install with --uninstall enough)

Last edited:

zikoeidos

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 25, 2014
I was looking for a way to do this a while ago, but had no luck... might give it a shot with this tutorial... thanks a lot!

What happens if the user has a TAP Driver? Or doesn't it matter since the VPN has its own DNS addresses?

My VPN is about to introduce their own in-house DNS addresses... So, how to fully uninstall DNSCrypt? (or is swapping --install with --uninstall enough)
just use vpn with no fear and if you want to unistall enter the previous commands except the --install change it to uninstall

Reactions: porkpiehat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.