How to Fake Edit Website Text Using Google Chrome

Antus67

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Scroll through any social media website long enough, and you’ll eventually see a screenshot of a ridiculous conversation or similar text that seems outrageous. As it turns out, your instinct is right—most of these are actually fake.

You might not know that it’s really easy to doctor the text on a website and capture a screenshot of it. You don’t need any fancy photo editing software, either. WIn this article, we show you how to change text on a website using Chrome.

To change the text on any page, first load it in your browser. We’ll discuss Chrome here, but the process is similar in other browsers too.

With a page open, right-click on the chunk of text that you want to modify and choose Inspect (sometimes listed as Inspect Element). This will launch Chrome’s developer panel on the Elements page. If you’re wondering how to change text with F12, know that you can press F12 to open the same panel.

In that box, you’ll see the HTML for the page you’re visiting. See our introduction to HTML if this is unfamiliar to you.

Depending on the text you’ve selected, you’ll likely see some text in <p>, <div>, or other similar tags. Click the arrow next to those tags to expand the section and show the full text.

From there, simply double-click or right-click and choose Edit text on the block you want to change. Once you click away or hit Enter, the text will update.

You can do this as much as you like to change the various text. As you mouse over tags in the Elements panel, you’ll see the corresponding text on the page light up. You can remove entire blocks by right-clicking on them and choosing Delete element.

The page will retain your changes until you refresh it. Feel free to take a screenshot and share your funny edit wherever you like

Source: How to Fake Edit Website Text Using Google Chrome

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
That's a quick trick if you want to take fake screenshots OR you want to bluff your friend about an online deal you got OR twist a joke OR article whatever (not recommended!!). A common knowledge of web developers ;)

I used to do it a few years back during college time. Sometimes my parents would have a glance at my laptop screen from a side. And I guess they could identify MT by the site logo with the name in the header. They knew that I spent too much time on MT some days and would (insert a polite, mature word for 'scold' here) me often.
Later on, whenever they were going to be seated close to me, I would inspect and remove the common identifiable elements like the top-left logo or the entire header strip - so that I could make it less like MT and continue my exploration or typing drafts here at MH.
I tried to workaround their "MT logo" blacklisting policy. I am not 100% sure, but I think it did help me in that part.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.