Guide | How To How to Find Windows XP Password Out?

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Shadow King

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 11, 2012
Microsoft Windows XP allows people to set up different user accounts on a PC. Each of the accounts can be set different preferences and settings. And also users can also put password on them to protect their PC from unauthorized access. However, if one forgot his computer password, then it would be quite problematic since he may not be able to access to his PC. Well this article will mainly discuss the issue on “how to find Windows XP password” when it is forgotten.
Windows_XP_Password.jpg

If you have several user accounts on your XP pc, then to find out XP password for your locked user account wouldn’t be that complicated. Just follow the below steps:
Step1: Try to log on with other accessible user account. (Note: That accessible account should be an Administrator account or a limited user account with administrative privileges.)
Step2: Go to “Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts”. And next choose your blocked user account there.
Step3: Click the option to “Change my password” or “Remove my password”. Then type your currently used password in the box, and enter the new password or nothing to change or remove password. Later, you then can re-access to your blocked user account on your Windows XP computer.

If you don’t have other accounts on your pc, then my advice is to use a third-party Windows XP password recovery tool to help you find the forgotten XP password and rescue your locked PC. If you haven’t got any clue on such tool, then I would humbly recommend Windows Password Key to you. Below are the how-to tips on using Windows Password Key Professional to find lost Windows XP password.
Step1: Download Windows Password Key Professional edition and install it to another accessible computer properly.
Step2: Run this program and insert the CD/DVD/USB Flash Drive to this computer, and then click “Burn CD/DVD” or “Burn USB” button to start burning an ISO image file to the CD/DVD/USB.
Step3: After finishing the burning, remove the CD or DVD from the computer and then insert this CD or DVD to the locked computer.
Step4: Set the locked computer to boot from CD/DVD/USB in BIOS.
Step5: Find XP password with burned CD/DVD/USB.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I can do that from the Windows XP Installation CD. You will have a user accounts control panel by doing it that way, but I don't know if it's a good idea to share.

D

Deleted member 178

Before i used a linux-based apps that delete any passwords on Xp in 4 clicks ^^

olefin

Level 1
Sep 9, 2012
ophcrack LiveCD or cain and abel can find windows xp password ,also kon-boot enables you logging in to any password protected machine profile without any knowledge of the password.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
olefin said:
ophcrack LiveCD or cain and abel can find windows xp password ,also kon-boot enables you logging in to any password protected machine profile without any knowledge of the password.

That would be the most common one that I would use.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
An easier method follow the steps:-
1. U need an account with some privelages

2. Go to C:\Windows\system32 folder and find cmd.exe Copy this to the desktop

3. Find sethc.exe and back it up.

3. Rename cmd.exe to sethc.exe and again put this renamed file in the system32 folder. It will ask if you want to replace the existing file and click yes.

4. Go to the windows login screen and hit shift 5 times. Magically cmd pops up.
Now enter net user <username> <new password>

Thats it you have rest your password
Now replace the original sethc.exe

What u just did was replace sethc ie sticky keys provider with cmd. Sticky keys is a function which will also work when your in the login screen. SO when u hit shift 5 times Ms called sethc.exe, but we know it was actually the command prompt which we renamed. Once cmd launches it is unaware of the user account so the launched cmd has full administrator privelages. This is an easy way to reset admin password and works with all versions of windows.
Even if you have a basic LUA acc you can do it. I have changed all my schools computers password using this method.

So enjoy. and hit kudos.

D

Deleted member 178

Btw, if you just want bypass Windows XP logon , you just have to press a combination of key at the logon page then enter a specific credential. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

alt+crtl+del

then fill the credential boxes with :

username: Administrator
password: blank field or 'password'

tried it before to a classmate to install a keylogger on his machine :p (for studying purposes of course ^^)

olefin

Level 1
Sep 9, 2012
all for logon encryption & not for syskey encryption: Run: syskey===>press: update===>Password startup
3478eop.jpg

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
alt+crtl+del

then fill the credential boxes with :

username: Administrator
password: blank field or 'password'

tried it before to a classmate to install a keylogger on his machine :p (for studying purposes of course ^^)

Works with just xp?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.