How to get rid of "Chrome search contest 2020" scam Android?

jverner

Thread author
Sep 27, 2020
I have this scam on my Android phone. I understand it is a redirect virus. I factory reset the phone twice without adding any apps and not installing the optional Samsung ones. IDK what to do. Suggestios?

One peculiar thing that might be relevant: The redirect takes effect only on websites I have built with Wordpress on my reseller's account. This suggests to me that there is a vulnerability on the websites. Yet when I access them with my desktop, there is no redirect. I scanned one of the sites using MalCare and it found nothing wrong.

TIA

JV

Reactions: upnorth and Cortex

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have this scam on my Android phone. I understand it is a redirect virus. I factory reset the phone twice without adding any apps and not installing the optional Samsung ones. IDK what to do. Suggestios?

One peculiar thing that might be relevant: The redirect takes effect only on websites I have built with Wordpress on my reseller's account. This suggests to me that there is a vulnerability on the websites. Yet when I access them with my desktop, there is no redirect. I scanned one of the sites using MalCare and it found nothing wrong.

TIA

JV
Hello,
This looks like an issue with the site you're visiting rather than with your phone. Most likely there's a line of code in on that site that is redirecting you to these ads. What's the site URL?

Reactions: upnorth and Cortex

jverner

Thread author
Sep 27, 2020
I found that it is a problem with corrupted Wordpress code. I deleted all Wordpress files and folders except for the wp-content folder and the wp-config.php file. Then I reloaded Wordpress except for the wp-content folder and the wp-config.php file. This worked for me. I would like to get my hands on the hacker who did this. Best wishes.

Reactions: Cortex and upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.