How to get rid of device fingerprints

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Device fingerprinting, sometimes known as machine fingerprinting, is the process of collecting information about the software and hardware on a device in order to identify it from others. This isn't always done for sinister reasons. For instance, a software licence may only allow you to install software on one computer and unfortunately that computer required a system reset. In this case, the developer can use a special fingerprinting algorithm based on your machine's specifications to make sure it's the same one you used last time, allowing you to install the software again.

Unfortunately, fingerprinting can be exploited to identify your device in scenarios that you don't want to be identified. In recent years browser fingerprinting has become very sophisticated and the implications are very scary. You can be using a reliable VPN, an ad-blocker, have antivirus installed, and even be using your browser in incognito mode but you can still be identified.

So you can find out how easily your device can be singled out from others, the Electronic Frontier Foundation have created the Cover your Tracks online test. If you are concerned that you can still easily be tracked online and you want to make yourself more anonymous, you can try some of these techniques to help you cover your tracks.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Way to go, Bitdefender :) I'm not saying the Cover your Tracks link is a threat, but BD seems to want to keep me clear of it, unless I disable some Online Threat Prevention settings.

2023-08-01_8-20-58.jpg
2023-08-01_8-21-40.jpg

2023-08-01_8-26-48.jpg

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There are some ways to minimize fingerprints. Use

1) DJ NOScript
2) Trace - Disable those same features as in DJ NOScript. Useful to protect against hardware fingerprints
3) CanvasBlocker (for Firefox only)

These extensions will help to block/randomize/fake fingerprints.

A VPN can only protect your IP address from being traced.

Choose browsers with built-in fingerprint protections like FF, Brave etc

In addition, running a VM using a different OS helps in protecting the host OS from being fingerprinted.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
it's been said before but if you have one of those anti-fingerprinting ext. you are identifiable. Trace does a decent job of obscuring your presence but it's partial, not totally. Trace hasn't been updated since June 2021--right now it's disabled on here.

Although I"d love to be invisible, it ain't happening, so as long as I don't actually see the results of my being fingerprinted ( like targeted ads calling me by name🥶 ) I just let it go. Not worth the aggravation.

Even here on MT, you and I can be ID'd by our hardware configurations. 🙃

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
it's been said before but if you have one of those anti-fingerprinting ext. you are identifiable. Trace does a decent job of obscuring your presence but it's partial, not totally. Trace hasn't been updated since June 2021--right now it's disabled on here.

Although I"d love to be invisible, it ain't happening, so as long as I don't actually see the results of my being fingerprinted ( like targeted ads calling me by name🥶 ) I just let it go. Not worth the aggravation.

Even here on MT, you and I can be ID'd by our hardware configurations. 🙃

Some info on Trace here

Like I mentioned you can run a VM with a different OS to protect your host OS from being fingerprinted

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Taking that test seemed pretty heavy duty but it went on without a hitch on my machine.
I'm running firefox in linux today, took the test without any problems, came back "you have strong protection against Web tracking." 2 add-on extensions: DDG & ublock.
EDIT: more info, the test also said that firefox (linux) had 17.37 bits of indentfying info...
So I tested win10_host with Edge and gee it reported exactly the same info including bits, and Edge is running a few more extensions, so although I generally like EFF, I'm wondering about the accuracy of this test, different OS, different browsers, different extension, same score? :unsure:
:unsure:
EDIT2 so I tested in Librewolf (linux) and AGAIN got identical scores as above and librewolf has different extensions... So I tested with Chromium (linux) and got SAME scores... maybe 17.37 bits is as low as it goes?? :unsure:

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Brave​

Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking.
Blocking tracking ads?Yes
Blocking invisible trackers?Yes
Protecting you from fingerprinting?◕ your browser has a randomized fingerprint

Safari - OOTBE​

Our tests indicate that you have some protection against Web tracking, but it has some gaps.
Blocking tracking ads?Partial protection
Blocking invisible trackers?Partial protection
Protecting you from fingerprinting?Your browser has a nearly-unique fingerprint

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser - OOTBE​

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023

Brave​

Protecting you from fingerprinting?◕ your browser has a randomized fingerprint

Safari - OOTBE​

Our tests indicate that you have some protection against Web tracking, but it has some gaps.
Blocking tracking ads?Partial protection
Blocking invisible trackers?Partial protection

DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser - OOTBE​

I don't trust Brave and I never will. They seem too goody two shoes to be without any evil undertones. They kind of remind me of that benevolent rich guy who in reality is a super villain.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm running firefox in linux today, took the test without any problems, came back "you have strong protection against Web tracking." 2 add-on extensions: DDG & ublock.
EDIT: more info, the test also said that firefox (linux) had 17.37 bits of indentfying info...
So I tested win10_host with Edge and gee it reported exactly the same info including bits, and Edge is running a few more extensions, so although I generally like EFF, I'm wondering about the accuracy of this test, different OS, different browsers, different extension, same score? :unsure:
:unsure:
EDIT2 so I tested in Librewolf (linux) and AGAIN got identical scores as above and librewolf has different extensions... So I tested with Chromium (linux) and got SAME scores... maybe 17.37 bits is as low as it goes?? :unsure:
I tested with Edge on win10 hardware host, and finally got a a different score: 17.36 bits.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I tested with Edge on win10 hardware host, and finally got a a different score: 17.36 bits.

My Results​

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 169,583 tested in the past 45 days.
Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 17.37 bits of identifying information.

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Way to go, Bitdefender :) I'm not saying the Cover your Tracks link is a threat, but BD seems to want to keep me clear of it, unless I disable some Online Threat Prevention settings.
For me too, the page was blocked by BD and TrafficLight and Webroot on my Father's computer flagged it as a suspicious page. In VT is detected by 6 products as Malware, Malicious,Suspicious. I have visited this page before, a few months ago, but it never detected anything, this time now some AVs is flagging it as Malware. Could this page be infected? maybe, it's possible. :confused:
1691044592812.png
1691044796304.png

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
A little more about (anti)fingerprinting:

Alexai

Level 3
Aug 12, 2023
Ok, my brave has a randomized fingerprint, but what about the others chromium browsers? (chrome, edge, vivaldi)
How can tweak them?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.