Guide | How To HOW TO :Get Your PC Running Again

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
Have you ever gotten the ‘BSoD’ or a error message upon starting your Windows?? These scenarios can baffle not only beginner computer users, but even IT professionals.

1. Windows doesn’t start, restore your system using the “Last Known Good Configuration” mode.
** Restores many of the changes you made during your last Windows session, such as driver updates, system settings and registry changes.
How to; press the F8 key before the Windows boot logo would normally appear and ,Select “Last Known Good Configuration”, then wait Windows to boot up.

2. Use the installation CD/ DVD to try and repair their system.
** This feature solves the most common start-up issues, like repairing common registry keys, system files and drivers usually associated with a failed system start.
How to; After unsuccessful start-up, “Windows Error Recovery” will open and allow to launch it. “Start-Up Repair” will then automatically detect and repair any problems, but this process might take awhile.

3. “Start-Up Repair” and are still having Windows start-up problems, you’ll need to rebuild the start-up files.
How to; Boot into “Windows Recovery Environment”, and instead of launching “Start-Up Repair”, select “Command Prompt”. then, enter this commands 1 by 1, and confirm each with ENTER:

bcdedit /export C:\Boot_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

This will back up your old start configuration data and create an entirely new startup system. Continue on by entering the following commands:

Bootrec /FixBoot
Bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then, reboot your system to see if your PC is running again.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Good tips win7holic, But these are pretty basic ones if you repair computers all the time. Any good Computer expert knows how to do these.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
The ugly truth is, Most repair shops actually resorts to a reformat if they would find that your PC doesn't boot anymore, So learning this tips yourself actually saves you a lot of time and money.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Agree, even the person owns laptop/desktop would not allow to reformat cause an important files were remove.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
that's why i post this thread into this forum.
very useful before you do REFORMAT.
but, if you have back-up files (ex HD) , reformat is best way to remove all problems.

I

illumination

win7holic said:
that's why i post this thread into this forum.
very useful before you do REFORMAT.
but, if you have back-up files (ex HD) , reformat is best way to remove all problems.

These are helpful tips! When i run into problems where the system is corrupted enough to face these, I reformat/set back to factory settings.. It is not hard to transfer important files to a flash drive or external HD.. That is where this above comes in handy, to even do a reformat, sometimes you have to "fix" the system in order to retrieve the important files to save before wiping clean..

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I couldn't count the many of times “Last Known Good Configuration” fixed Windows boot. About 9 out of 10 times it will fix any failed drivers problems related to installing or updating security software and third-party drivers for display, audio, etc.

If you can't remember all of this guide don't forget about “Last Known Good Configuration”.

Excellent guide!!:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.