How to know which process is downloading something Silently and where on Disk?

RockyStunner

Thread author
Oct 10, 2013
1) How can we know if some process is downloading something in the background silently ?

2)How to Identify which Process is downloading something in the background ?

3) How to track at what locations what files are being downloaded (other than the one which we choose to download at a particular location or the ones that we can usually see in the download managers etc.)

4) We can use the software like OpenedFilesView(http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/opened_files_view.html) which can give us an insight of which files are actively locked and being changed with the size, but one needs to be an expert to track what is happening.
So is there any software which can give us a realtime view of which process is downloading what thing from which site and downloading it to what location? (I feel Firewall does not give indepth information). This can help us find the Trojan/rootkit activities or the malicious softwares updating itself in the background or adding up space on our harddisk silently in the background without our notice.

Any Expert input on this will be highly appreciated.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
use either Process Explorer or Process Hacker.
rest can be done on both:

-run as administrator
-select/choose column > network receive bytes delta
-sort by it and see what is downloading and at what rate

for looking at what files are currently opened :
-double click on the process (in one of the programs i mentioned)
-go the Handles tab
-click on the name column
-look for the entries starting with drive letters i.e. c: d: ....

hope this helped.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.