How to protect myself from Ransomware and is this too much?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I have on my system ESET 9 just Antivirus, Emisisoft Internet Security (EAM+firewall), webroot and hitman pro alert.

My wife has only ESET and HitmanPro Alert.

Will EIS protect me against ransomware via mamutu prompts? I have seen that the lockey has defeated Hitman Pro Alert so I don't put much fate into that software now.

Should I add WinAntiRansom to it or VoodooShield?

How much resources that WinAntiRansom or VooDooShield take? (real life gaming PC?)

N

Noxx

EIS will protect you against Ransomeware. In fact, they're known for being the first to crack some of the more famous cases. I can't speak for WinAntiRansom or VoodooShield, however.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No need to be conscious too much, a decent AV like ESET is sufficient alongside of virtualization software like Shadow Defender or Toolwiz Time Freeze. Although no harm with having WinAntiRansom because its proven to prevent those specific ransomware case.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Protecting any device from Ransomware would be down to knowing what causes malware in the first place, and precautions/methods to reduce those risks.

Personally, the BEST (and I don't use this term often) would be to have System Image (OS) and Data backups on-hand. Go out and buy an external HDD, you can get a good portable one for less than £70.

Say for example, you had all these 5 layers of protection and get your PC gets ransomed. How will you get your personal data back without the decryption key?

ESET 9 just Antivirus, Emisisoft Internet Security (EAM+firewall), webroot and hitman pro alert.

You should only use ONE real-time Antivirus / Suite; choose between ESET Nod32 Antivirus or Emsisoft Internet Security.

Webroot could be used as a companion, which already has a method to rollback malicious changes. @Umbra may be able to tell you more about this feature.

If you think HitmanPro.Alert will fail on your system, why not uninstall it?

Last step would be to get Sandboxie, it's free for use (Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing). This will isolate your website browsing sessions and prevent any unwanted installations or exploits on your main computer.

Less is more... going back to the basics is easily overlooked. You may not agree with my comments above, and I can accept that.

8-Bit Ghetto

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2016
Common sense and always have a backup, simple and easy. Just think about it, if you have a good common sense than Windows Defender is good enough to protect you without additional security software.

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Common sense and always have a backup, simple and easy. Just think about it, if you have a good common sense than Windows Defender is good enough to protect you without additional security software.
That is always the greatest and simplest of advice but knowing myself and knowing my wife, life sometimes gets in a way of common sense. We might be the most diligent folks 99% of the time, then that one time on Saturday on 3 am when we just put the baby to bed once again, maybe we want to watch something and browse something and at that time during that 1% of the time we allow something to infect us. AntiViruses and AntiMalware was made to protest us from ourselves or at least provide us with an additional layer of warning for something that we might have overlooked.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

8-Bit Ghetto

Level 1
Verified
Mar 16, 2016
That is always the greatest and simplest of advice but knowing myself and knowing my wife, life sometimes gets in a way of common sense. We might be the most diligent folks 99% of the time, then that one time on Saturday on 3 am when we just put the baby to bed once again, maybe we want to watch something and browse something and at that time during that 1% of the time we allow something to infect us. AntiViruses and AntiMalware was made to protest us from ourselves or at least provide us with an additional layer of warning for something that we might have overlooked.

I can tell you that Sandbox your browser will save you at least.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Tempnexus: AV's today are already hype and only some remains to be consistent on their job to protect.

Factors like price, value and its reliability tends to be corrupt or sometimes substandard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.