How to recover unreadable/corrupted files on the mounted VeraCrypt container?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Some files on the mounted veracrypt container are unreadable! How do I recover them?
Unreadable files and folder looks like on the attached photo!

Attachments

• vera.PNG
    vera.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 525

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
My hard disk had 3 partitions C, D and E, and I formatted everything on the E drive and extended the size of the D drive using Easeus Partition Master by adding E drive to D. So now the size of the partition D is 500.5 GB , then I created a new 500 GB standard encrypted VeraCrypt container on the D drive. Remaining (non-encrypted space) space on the D drive is 500 MB. Now there is only C and D drive as I extended the size of the D drive using Easeus partition master by combining E drive to D!

Before the formatting and extending the partition of E to D, I copied all data on the E drive to an external Western Digital 4TB drive but there was a 50 GB VeraCrypt file container on that drive ( E DRIVE ) which I marked as hidden from the windows explorer to prevent other users from deleting it. I forgot that there was that VeraCrypt file container on E drive and it didn't copy to the External drive as it was hidden from the windows explorer.

Does making a 500 GB standard encrypted VeraCrypt drive on the D drive overwritten the D drive which has a size of 500 GB?

I also used Kerish Doctor to prevent that VeraCrypt file container from accidental deletion, today I found that 50 GB VeraCrypt file container on C:\ProgramData\Kerish Products\Kerish Doctor\Restore folder and I copied it to an external drive and successfully mounted the drive using VeraCrypt, but only 3 or 4 files out of 500 files are readable (They are mostly videos, photos)

The file extension that Kerish Doctor saved the file to prevent deletion is in .rst on C:\ProgramData\Kerish Products\Kerish Doctor\Restore folder.

How do I recover all or most of the data on that drive? See the attached photo, it is how most of the files on that drive looks like and they are corrupted

vera.PNG

and opening any of those files gave me below error on the attached photo!

Attachments

• err.PNG
    err.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.