How to Remain Calm when an Infection is Detected

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
Yes keep any teenage relatives away from your system otherwise I cant see much getting through your fortress-like defences.
And neighbors and husbands OR wives...(whoever isn't click smart), the dogs and the two cats...
Our cats like to lap hop while we are on computer: can hit all kinds of buttons!

Reactions: Behold Eck

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
I have a quick question, I run Kaspersky 2015, HitmanPro.Alert, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro and CryptoPrevent Premium is there anything else I can add to protect against cryptolocker type infections?
Use common sense, and teach everyone else that might be using that computer to do the same. I doubt it is possible to keep small children out of it when they nag (my dad always cave to my nephew when he wants to use his grandpa's laptop... fortunately he only knows how to pick out children's cartoons on YouTube).

Of course the best solution is to lock it down with a password or something to prevent them from using it altogether.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My uncles laptop once got infected by TDL4 rootkit, so he brought a new one. My mate Dan who's the IT guy at the hospital where I work checked my uncles history and his, so called 'innocent' little girl (11) had been doing things she should not, mostly learnt from her friends. So, he installed Kaspersky, locked the system down and created a children's account, now Kaspersky blocks all the websites she still tries to visit and moans frequently to me she suffers from the lack of the 'web.'

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I wondered that, she has even tried buying stuff after stealing his credit card, children aren't so sweet and innocent.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
'Blackhat in Training' does not sound good :eek:
Hopefully it's just a phase and will grow out of it. Unfortunately in this information age, there are way too many kids who think 'Hacking' is cool, but it just causes their victims undeserved misery.
Helping friends in trouble and fixing their pc problems remotely in return for a beer or two is far more satisfying imo. ;)
Apologies if a bit off topic, I'll just get back to my grass munching :cool:

Last edited:

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
'Blackhat in Training' does not sound good :eek:
Hopefully it's just a phase and will grow out of it. Unfortunately in this information age, there are way too many kids who think 'Hacking' is cool, but it just causes their victims undeserved misery.
I hope so too... we have way too many blackhats already. Unfortunately young script kiddies have the potential to turn into professional virus writers when they grow up, lured by the promise of easy money with almost no way to trace them.

Helping friends in trouble and fixing their pc problems remotely in return for a beer or two is far more satisfying imo. ;)
I agree. @Tony Cole try directing her to one of the UNITE sites that offer malware removal training (Bleeping Computer, Geeks to Go etc.) and see if she likes it. If she likes scripting it's better to train her into a malware removal helper than leaving her alone and risk the chance that she might turns into a blackhat.

Edit: Oops, off topic :D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
So... my friend's mother has a little toddler of 3 and a half, and wow, does he bang the computer! He's been downloading pictures, files, and unfortunately, suspicious programs. I can't tell you how many infections we had because of that cute little bunch of joy :)

And, they're not hard to delete. The most he can do is go to a suspicious kids website.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
God knows what any of us would be up to at their tender age these days ? I dread to think.:rolleyes:

Kids are a virus in themselves.It`s a given that they`ll be up to something hokey online.

I`d install some type of rollback software, deleting any desktop icons and password protect it.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
I have a quick question, I run Kaspersky 2015, HitmanPro.Alert, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro and CryptoPrevent Premium is there anything else I can add to protect against cryptolocker type infections?

Nice, fortress. I lack CryptoPrevent.

Browsing unknown sites, I personally use a non Admin Windows account, updated Firefox browser with the following: Addblock, NoScript, Ghostry.

I just recently cleaned a relatives PC, wow, it was so infested, lol. What a titanic headache. These malware writers are so good, too good. Could never be sure if everything was gone, even after running various programs, thus did a factory reset, flashed the bios and firmware where available.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.