How to stop Win10 spying

Status
Not open for further replies.

suma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2013
How to stop win10 pro spying in easiest way... Without installing any soft. There are lot of tips in Google but I never get any help if something goes wrong that's why asking for help in this forum..

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Just my personal opinion Windows 10's spying is kind of baloney. If you want to remove some features you think counts as any of that type in the search menu "Privacy" Open up those settings and with each page uncheck everything with the exception of smartscreen. I personally find that if you mess with those kind of settings it can stop MS from helping you collecting the data they need to fix certain apps.

Reactions: Paul123

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
  1. Use a local account. Using MS account automatically signs for various apps so u will be seen all the time.
  2. Do not use Universal apps from the store.
  3. Instead of tweaking your own settings, a portable application has already been recommended i.e O&O Shutup.

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
There's a limited number of things you can do manually in the settings, especially if you have the Home edition (I like you have Pro) and I'd recommend using specific software to do this. Safer-Networks Spybot Anti-Beacon (which is free) is the one I'd recommend.

I also use SoftOrbits Privacy Protector for Windows 10 which also gives a few extra protections that Spybot doesn't, however, its not worth the price (at the moment), and I only use it because I got it as it was a giveaway (it also has a nasty habit when you use it of resetting some of your privacy settings youv'e set manually when you run it). However, in conjunction with Spybot, I think its fairly comprehensive.

Also I have Cortana turned off, never use her and she's a resource hog and a blabbermouth to Microsoft. Life's better without her. Turning off Cortana, and making the start menu search local only (ie not web too) made Windows 10 on my machine go from unusably sluggish to silky smooth.

Last edited:

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Just my personal opinion Windows 10's spying is kind of baloney. If you want to remove some features you think counts as any of that type in the search menu "Privacy" Open up those settings and with each page uncheck everything with the exception of smartscreen. I personally find that if you mess with those kind of settings it can stop MS from helping you collecting the data they need to fix certain apps.

I kind of agree, as someone said Microsoft have also given you Windows 10 for free (at least in my case as I upgraded from 7) so getting data (which is mostly anonymous usage data) to improve their product seems sort of fair. Same with the adverts if you have Home edition; its not a big thing and if you dont want them you upgrade. I use peerblock (old but still useful), and from that you can see there's a lot of communications being passed by your machine, and most is not Microsoft's doing. Having the EU YourOnlineChoices plugin on your browser and setting it up probably gives you more privacy online than trying to stop Windows 10 sending data.

I'm selfish though and like to protect my privacy, even anonymous stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.