Troubleshoot How to tell if Malware has done anything?

Infected operating system
Android
Infected device
Samsung S6 Tablet
Infected device issues
Malware
Steps taken to remove the infection
Deleted via AVG and turned off data access and tablet and will hard reset tablet tomorrow (out all today!)

Libra1975

Thread author
Dec 27, 2021
How do you tell if something child has downloaded is malware that needs to be panicked about or just something your security software thinks maybe malware and you should delete just incase? (it's deleted btw I just trying to work out which DefCon I should be at)

The name the AVG programme came up with is is toca-life-world-1.37.1_mod1.apk

I tried to uninstall Toca Life World (which is an app) using Google Play and got the message " this app was not installed by Google Play Store. Do you want to uninstall it?"

Anyway just trying to work out how much panicking I should be doing.... thank you.

Libra1975

Thread author
Dec 27, 2021
I think the place where you got the app will be a criterion to some extent. If you downloaded from other than Google Play, you may need to be a little cautious.
Thank you for your reply. Despite the google play store telling me it hadn't installed the app i am sure the option in settings to install things from other places was turned off (but will double check when back with tablet). Are there any logs i could look at? Or somewhere i can check if the apk i mentioned above is malware???

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Thank you for your reply. Despite the google play store telling me it hadn't installed the app i am sure the option in settings to install things from other places was turned off (but will double check when back with tablet). Are there any logs i could look at? Or somewhere i can check if the apk i mentioned above is malware???
Looks like a modded apk file that may be infected
I would do a reset just to be sure

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Virus Total seems to publish an app that can also be used on smartphones, so I think you can use it to scan .apk files.
However, the fact that AVG is detecting suggests that the .apk is likely to be non-legitimate.
Even children can temporarily remove installation restrictions other than Google Play. Even if the current state is on, that is not a reason to rest assured.

I agree with the reset proposed by @venustus. Above all, it is a surefire way to get rid of anxiety.

Even if it's a child's failure, don't scold it too hard. Remembering lies and deception is also a sign of growth. If you scold too much, you may start to behave more subtly instead of changing your attitude. I think it will be a plus for future growth to show you who is suffering and trying to solve the problem. Good luck.:)(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.