Troubleshoot How to trigger SSD TRIM command under Windows 7?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
So guys, everything is said in the title. Does anyone know how to trigger a SSD TRIM command under Windows 7 ?
SSD has enabled TRIM firmware
SSD is in AHCI Mode

I am aware there are commands to see if the TRIM is enabled under Windows 7
Code:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 = TRIM support disabled

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 = TRIM support enabled

...but is there any command for me (admin or local user) to manually trigger the TRIM under the OS? As you can do it under Windows 10 in it's Disk Defrag and Optimize tool

Reactions: DardiM and JM Safe
H

hjlbx

ForceTrim.zip (When you download MediaFire is gonna re-direct to some slime-bag out-of-date software page)

ForceTrim utility - you have to run as Admin

I haven't used it, but others state it is great. Since it is a "user-created" utility I would VM it first.

There is SSD Tweaker from Total Idea for $13.

Perhaps your SSD mfr has its own TRIM utility ?

Manual TRIM on W7 was never implemented... as far as I know the TRIM command is sent to the SSD every time a file is deleted on W7.

Upvote 0

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
So guys, everything is said in the title. Does anyone know how to trigger a SSD TRIM command under Windows 7 ?
SSD has enabled TRIM firmware
SSD is in AHCI Mode

I am aware there are commands to see if the TRIM is enabled under Windows 7
Code:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 = TRIM support disabled

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 = TRIM support enabled

...but is there any command for me (admin or local user) to manually trigger the TRIM under the OS? As you can do it under Windows 10 in it's Disk Defrag and Optimize tool

@BoraMurdar here this will help you:

Enable TRIM Command in Windows 7 with a Solid State Drive
  • To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window.
Hint: How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

Enable TRIM Command
  • In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

Disable TRIM Command

In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

Check if TRIM is working in Windows 7?
In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
Results explained below:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 after Instalation:

To fix this do:
  • Exit all Windows-based programs.
  • Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  • If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  • Locate and then click the following registry sub-key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
  • In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  • On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
Hint: Screwing around in regedit (register) is a BAD with capital B idea!! So please do not play around unless you know what you are doing!!!.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
If your SSD is running in AHCI and is not a member of a RAID then TRIM will be enabled automatically.

These steps are provided at your own risk and not suggested unless you know and understand the risks. You will want to make sure the controller driver and MB BIOS support this option before you enable it.

Anyway use this link if you need more info about TRIM commands and SSD options.
ps: The link is not perfect but close to it.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@Nico@FMA I already knew that as mentioned in the first post :p But thank you anyway :cool:
@hjlbx So you are saying that Windows 7 does the trim whenever the file is flushed from the memory chip (deleted) , but Windows 10 does it on schedule via Disk Optimization Tool?
@HeroCloudAntivirus , I tried searching unsuccessfully, as Silicon Power asks for a "format-before-optimization" and I don't want to do that... I will try searching for a Phison tools as my SSD uses Physon controler

Upvote 0
H

hjlbx

I've only seen two statements regarding TRIM on W7; that it runs to an internal automated schedule and the other that the trim command is run at the time of file deletion.

I thin the second statement is wrong; it is the garbage collection without trim command that is run at the time of file deletion.

Who knows... looking for these specific technical infos you're more likely to find a 125 carat diamond than to find a 100 % accurate answer.

I'd use a utility that allows manual TRIM whenever I deem fit. Running it isn't going to damage or break anything...

Reactions: BoraMurdar
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.