HP PC and Malware

TIAGO

Thread author
Apr 18, 2015
Hi,

I have a HP PC, had some problems with windows, I got a black screen.

Reached this thread on their help screen:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...000/5296234/model/5311069/document/c04572861/

Followed the instructions, and removed mypcbackup and 7-zip. Seems like it solved the problem.

Was wondering why these certain programs caused the issue? They don't seem malicious to me.

Asked HP support for their thoughts, still waiting on their reply.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
malwaretips.com/blogs/mypc-backup-virus-removal/ (My PC Backup)

It may not a totally malicious but consider to be potentially unwanted program where provides annoying pop up with you cannot conduct any backup of files unless you purchase their license, known to bundled both application from known/unknown source.

But others like Unchecky (tool to uncheck any bundled program upon installation) and 7-zip (File Archiver) I don't think it contributes to make PC unusuable nor conflict as suspected program which might solve the problem, that's why HP suggest to remove some programs that are not listed.

Many possible scenarios, cause these programs contribute to make PC problematic as most are adware based or others might cause resource hog issue and bugs which cause Windows to provide problems.

Glad it fix the problem if that so. ;)

Reactions: TIAGO and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.